• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Memory loss and trying to finish school

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alli D87

Learning
Hello there,

So, I was a student before my trauma. I am finally trying to finish my diploma or degree, whichever it is... I only have this one semester left :).

I'm encountering a huge setback... my memory issues from the PTSD. Not only can I not remember the pertinent information from the previous courses I already took before the trauma, I am having trouble retaining any new information as well. I've been advised to try and seek out a tutor hoping it may help me re-learn and be able to better navigate these courses.

I can read and re-read information and none of it processes or get absorbed... This is a huge problem... I really don't want to fail. I just have 4 classes left before I can graduate!

Has anyone encountered this? Anyone have any tips or suggestions? I am really struggling and getting overwhelmed... I have homework questions to answer, I read them and start crying because there's no understanding going on...

While the prof is teaching it makes sense but as soon as I need to draw on that information it's not there.

Sorry this post is all over the place, any opinions or suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Can you make some index cards with the basic things you need to remember? It's possible if you see some of it, it'll jog your memory into remembering the rest of it.

Oh good idea! I use index cards for test studying, never thought of using them for this. Thank you

I also used index cards and joined study groups. The cards helped more than the groups, but I graduated with high honors.

Are you taking any medications?

What you’re describing could just be normal-trauma-brain... which will pass in time/ as you’re able to become more grounded/focused... but what you’re describing is also a side effect of several different meds

I had something like that my last semester of college, but it was more of a cognitive burnout/breakdown situation. I suddenly couldn't make sense of even the most basic picture menu in a restaurant, let alone my honors-level psych classes! I had to beg for help from my profs, and a couple of them were understanding and gave me a pass. One prof totally didn't help, I had to do some.....creative test-taking..... to pass that class. When my brain shut down at the beginning of the semester I marched myself STRAIGHT to disability accommodation services for letters and plans for my profs. If I hadn't done that, I would never have graduated. It was definitely a group effort that got me graduated, and i'm grateful to each person who played a part.

Definitely talk to your teachers and get in touch with disability accommodation services. Just 4 more classes, you got this!

My prof know I'm having memory and concentration issues. I've dropped one class and sought out a tutor for the other hard one. Thankfully I can use a memory aid which is essentially a cheat sheet approved by the professor. Thank you accomodations.

I'm encountering a lot of stress regardless, which is triggering a lot of symptoms... especially depression and trichotillomania urges... one day at a time, a good support system. I got this! ^_^

Are you taking any medications?

What you’re describing could just be normal-trauma-brain... which will pass in time/ as you’re able to become more grounded/focused... but what you’re describing is also a side effect of several different meds

I'm on 3 antidepressants and anxiety meds. The one, wellbutrin, is supposed to help with concentration and sleepiness. The other two are effexor and abilify. Anxiety med is clonazepam. I'm going to keep that in mind and ask my psych about it possibly being a med thing too. Thank you. Though im sure that other symptoms are definitely from the ptsd... intrusive memories being a hard one, especially when they hit me in the middle of class... thankfully i am allowed to record the lectures so if im having a bad day i can listen to it over again.

Hello there,

So, I was a student before my trauma. I am finally trying to finish my diploma or degree, whichever it is... I only have this one semester left :).

I'm encountering a huge setback... my memory issues from the PTSD. Not only can I not remember the pertinent information from the previous courses I already took before the trauma, I am having trouble retaining any new information as well. I've been advised to try and seek out a tutor hoping it may help me re-learn and be able to better navigate these courses.

I can read and re-read information and none of it processes or get absorbed... This is a huge problem... I really don't want to fail. I just have 4 classes left before I can graduate!

Has anyone encountered this? Anyone have any tips or suggestions? I am really struggling and getting overwhelmed... I have homework questions to answer, I read them and start crying because there's no understanding going on...

While the prof is teaching it makes sense but as soon as I need to draw on that information it's not there.

Sorry this post is all over the place, any opinions or suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.

@Alli D87
I'm a special ed teacher with OSDD-comes with it memory problems. In my experience, and what I know about memory from CPTSD and seizure disorder, the following helped me through my bachelor's and master's program.

HEALTHY LIVING I do all this.......and I see a HUGE NEGATIVE difference when I don't.
Sleep schedule-8 hrs. minimum (like 10-6). Get your body on a sleep schedule....same each day. Brain doesn't work without regular sleep and optimal sleep time. Don't nap if possible....it changes the way you process info at night (reduces recouperative sleep), and screws with sleep schedule.
Caffeine-coffee/coke in am only-caffeine makes it a challenge to sleep at night.
Exercise (aerobic 5 days a week) firs-t thing in the morning. Exercise naturally increases endorphins....which aid memory.
Protein-you have to eat right, brain doesn't function without enough protein (Premier Protein-2 shakes per day with your meals and vitamins)-lack of enough protein daily (50 grams) can negatively impact memory.
Vitamin D and B12 are normal-take vitamins daily for these. B-12 depletion- can create huge memory issues
Take meds on your schedule....messed up meds can neg. affect memory.
3 Regular meals to keep sugar level-keeps away unnecessary brain fog
Set your phone for wake up times, and get up when it rings.
Computer AND all screens, including phone off 1 hr. before bedtime.

PTSD and Grounding
Do grounding exercises several times a day to keep you in the here and now so your brain can remember. The more grounded you are, the less memory issues you'll have-and the more you can retain.

After you have your life schedule and exercise schedule (above), and grounding exercises regularly, create a study schedule-you study regardless ....same time....every day. DO NOT CRAM-PLAN AHEAD. PTSD likes predictability.
Study and do online activities at the best time of day when you are most alert. I studied first thing in the morning, Friday afternoons, Saturday and Sunday mornings. Pack in two times during the week for self care.....a home movie and popcorn (down time to look forward to) or a friend coming over...because I was most alert. You don't retain as much when you are tired studying at night-and less motivated because sleep and the shower are calling.

Multi-sensory studying:
Record ALL LECTURES (auditory) and write them out verbatim in an outline format when you get home
Read (visual) and take notes from the textbook (if you have one)
Next combine book notes and class notes into an outline (review)
Get up and move and study: (Kinesthetic) Pace your home (and get your exercise steps in) with your notes outline while saying the information aloud (Auditory)
Need to know if you know it???-write your notes on flashcards in question format one side.....answer on the other. Pace, read and answer orally (auditory)
(Use Mneumonics to help you chunk info-organize info into tables, or have visual cues to help you recall)

You have only one semester to go......you can do i!.....these classes ARE your current purpose in life. Focus your semester around finishing your degree! You go!
Good luck.

@Alli D87
I'm a special ed teacher with OSDD-comes with it memory problems. In my experience, and what I know about memory from CPTSD and seizure disorder, the following helped me through my bachelor's and master's program.

HEALTHY LIVING I do all this.......and I see a HUGE NEGATIVE difference when I don't.
Sleep schedule-8 hrs. minimum (like 10-6). Get your body on a sleep schedule....same each day. Brain doesn't work without regular sleep and optimal sleep time. Don't nap if possible....it changes the way you process info at night (reduces recouperative sleep), and screws with sleep schedule.
Caffeine-coffee/coke in am only-caffeine makes it a challenge to sleep at night.
Exercise (aerobic 5 days a week) firs-t thing in the morning. Exercise naturally increases endorphins....which aid memory.
Protein-you have to eat right, brain doesn't function without enough protein (Premier Protein-2 shakes per day with your meals and vitamins)-lack of enough protein daily (50 grams) can negatively impact memory.
Vitamin D and B12 are normal-take vitamins daily for these. B-12 depletion- can create huge memory issues
Take meds on your schedule....messed up meds can neg. affect memory.
3 Regular meals to keep sugar level-keeps away unnecessary brain fog
Set your phone for wake up times, and get up when it rings.
Computer AND all screens, including phone off 1 hr. before bedtime.

PTSD and Grounding
Do grounding exercises several times a day to keep you in the here and now so your brain can remember. The more grounded you are, the less memory issues you'll have-and the more you can retain.

After you have your life schedule and exercise schedule (above), and grounding exercises regularly, create a study schedule-you study regardless ....same time....every day. DO NOT CRAM-PLAN AHEAD. PTSD likes predictability.
Study and do online activities at the best time of day when you are most alert. I studied first thing in the morning, Friday afternoons, Saturday and Sunday mornings. Pack in two times during the week for self care.....a home movie and popcorn (down time to look forward to) or a friend coming over...because I was most alert. You don't retain as much when you are tired studying at night-and less motivated because sleep and the shower are calling.

Multi-sensory studying:
Record ALL LECTURES (auditory) and write them out verbatim in an outline format when you get home
Read (visual) and take notes from the textbook (if you have one)
Next combine book notes and class notes into an outline (review)
Get up and move and study: (Kinesthetic) Pace your home (and get your exercise steps in) with your notes outline while saying the information aloud (Auditory)
Need to know if you know it???-write your notes on flashcards in question format one side.....answer on the other. Pace, read and answer orally (auditory)
(Use Mneumonics to help you chunk info-organize info into tables, or have visual cues to help you recall)

You have only one semester to go......you can do i!.....these classes ARE your current purpose in life. Focus your semester around finishing your degree! You go!
Good luck.

Thank you so much, this is great info. Napping is a hard one but I'm trying my best :). Luckily there's a gym at the college that's free for students that I can take advantage of.

Thanks again

Thank you so much, this is great info. Napping is a hard one but I'm trying my best :). Luckily there's a gym at the college that's free for students that I can take advantage of.

Thanks again
Awesome...you can fit in your exercise. I can not exercise past about 5pm or the added endorphins keep me awake. Everyone is different though.....I'm really proud you are determined to finish.....keep us posted!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back