• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Memory

• Thread starter Deleted member 44517
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 44517

I don't know if this is the right place to post this question. My father was recently diagnosed with dementia. A form of dementia that can hit very early and go undiagnosed for decades. He is in his mid sixties but probably had it for 15 years. Now that we know he hast it he has little time left.

My question is about ptsd and memory. I have been noticing a lot lately that my memory is bad. I know that can be a symptom of the disorder but I'm scared it may be something else. I have had people remind me of things I have said or done a lot lately. I don't remember those conversations at all. Am I just being paranoid?

I don't think it's the least bit paranoid given your circumstances.

Yes, ptsd often comes with memory issues. That's normal for ptsd.

But it's okay to be worried about dementia at the same time. Good news is, we know a lot more about dementia than we used to, including early-onset dementia and what to look for at an earlier age.

If it's in the family? Educate yourself about what dementia is, does, and what to look for. And if you have questions, speak to your doctor. That's not paranoia, it's good sense:)

It is a legitimate concern.... just as he was tested, you can request the same tests and let them know you have PTSD.... I have had memory problems most of my life, mine are from being disassociated so much of the time...and depression and anxiety can cause us to forget,or simply not pay attention..
No, not paranoid, just someone with a very legitimate concern..... glad you reached out.

Thank you.
I know depression and ptsd mess with your head. I know I dissociate sometimes. Ita just lately that I'm noticing that people are talking about things I don't remember.

I will ask my doctor but I'm afraid he will tell me it's just paranoia.

Well, if I had a choice between paranoia and Alhzherimers, I would choose paranoia.... so even if that's it.... you can work to change that... and you can insist on being tested...... you have a voice about your health.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back