1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mistreatment after a suicide attempt

Discussion in 'Medical' started by Tamm, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Tamm

Tamm Policy Enforcement Banned

I attempted suicide in my late teens and was treated horribly in hospital. I complained years later and received an apology.

I see this as something that effectively retraumatised me and I’ve never entirely got over it.

Swift and mumstheword like this.
  2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Lucycat

Lucycat "Wisdom begins in wonder." ~ Socrates ~ Premium Member Donated

Hi @Tamm .
    Have you tried any specific therapies to address the event you describe? Being suicidal is in itself a stressful situation, and I can only assume it was as a reaction to the way you were feeling and perhaps some previous traumatic event. As such you are more likely to feel further trauma and it needs dealing with so that the memory can be processed and 'put away'. What happened will not change and cannot be changed, but the way you think about it can be different. You do not need to spend the rest of your life dwelling on this terrible experience.

4. Angelwings

Angelwings Well-Known Member

I know this isn't really what you were looking for, but I had a similar experience when I tried to commit suicide at 16. Everyone was cruel to me.

5. Tamm

I wouldn’t say I was looking for anything in particular. Just wondering if anyone could relate. I’m so sorry this happened to you.

It was a reaction to childhood trauma and abuse, and it’s not really possible to isolate it from the other trauma - I have had therapy but by necessity it focused on stabilisation, coping and emotional regulation. I’m afraid it’s one of many traumas, just wanted to post and see if I was the only one.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2018
    Lucycat likes this.
  6. mumstheword

mumstheword I'm a VIP Premium Member Donated

I was treated appallingly by the doctor I went to with a slashed wrist at 16, too. I was homeless, had been raped, drugged, was chronically depressed, assaulted and cared for by nobody and all the doctor said contemptuously, was "go and get a job". So bad.
    I ended up "getting a job" with an abuser who entrapped me for 21 years.

Sweetleaf and Swift like this.
  7. Tamm

I’m so sorry to hear this.

Lucycat and Swift like this.
  8. mumstheword

mumstheword I'm a VIP Premium Member Donated

@Tamm
    I'm really sorry to hear what happened to you too. (((((Hugs)))))):hug::hug::hug: @Tamm

Lucycat and Tamm like this.
  9. Swift

Swift I'm a VIP

You're definitely not alone.
    Retraumatization is ridiculously hard.
    Speaking for myself, retraumatization bugs me because it hits patterns that the trauma has given me and confirms them. Then I'm annoyed for feeling terrible, because it wasn't "as bad" as the trauma.
    Are you looking for any resolution around the hospital? Or just fellow feeling with how awful these things can be? It's a big, brave step to post about it. One thing I've learnt from this forum is I'm not the only one who's experienced the things I have.
    Are you in treatment, at all? I get the feeling this could be a massive barrier to getting help.

10. Tamm

I appreciate being told it was a big step to post. I think I just wanted to start a conversation really. I’ve had some therapy before but yes this was a huge barrier to getting help.

@Lucycat

Sorry if my other reply above sounded really abrupt (couldn’t work out how to edit it), I’m off work sick and not at my best so coherent writing is a challenge!

Lucycat, mumstheword and Swift like this.
  11. Justmehere

Justmehere Help support myPTSD - more info in Social forum Moderator Premium Member

Nope, not the only one. It made it hard for me to get help for awhile. I found that therapists trained in trauma could handle it though, and helped me work through it.

Lucycat, mumstheword and Tamm like this.
  12. brat17

brat17 I'm a VIP

I think poor treatment is way to common in ER and crisis units after suicide attempts. Even in ICU at times. I was not young when this happened, but much of the staff lacked compassion. I am really sorry for those of you who experienced this at such a young age. I am sure that leaves a deeper scar. Crisis units tend to treat patients much different than hospital patients with a physical problem, even the food is different. One nurse thought I was a snitch because my husband is employed at the hospital in a capacity that could be plausible. I would like to be planted at different facilities and evaluate treatment.