• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Bipolar Mixed Episode - Bipolar

Status
Not open for further replies.

RussellSue

Not Active
I've been up, down, down, down, and all around for several days. I'm not sleeping well, can't concentrate, can't think, am massively irritable and paranoid, then hyperactive, and keep flying into fits of hysterical crying, etc. There is a medication issue and I have a psych appointment next week.

Is there anything at all that can be done to slow this down before the meds start working? Normally, exercise is my go-to, but last time I did anything serious it left me wanting to karate kick someone in the face.

Thanks.

You know, I want to answer this because I have bipolar as well. ( or they think I do) Just take deep breaths and try to remain calm until your next psyche visit. I read where you were taking Gabapentin in the other thread. That has to help. I was on Gaba for a bad neck and sure miss it. It helped my mood considerably, considering it was for two different issues. I may ask to go back in it considering I have been real down as well. ( considerably down) I hope you can improve soon. Sitting with you in the world of trauma and pandemic.

I've been up, down, down, down, and all around for several days. I'm not sleeping well, can't concentrate, can't think, am massively irritable and paranoid, then hyperactive, and keep flying into fits of hysterical crying, etc. There is a medication issue and I have a psych appointment next week.

Is there anything at all that can be done to slow this down before the meds start working? Normally, exercise is my go-to, but last time I did anything serious it left me wanting to karate kick someone in the face.

Thanks.
I clean like a crazy person which is movement oriented.....usually wears me out. When was the last time you got down on your hands and knees and scrubbed the floors, and cleaned the nooks and crannys. You will feel better wearing yourself out this way.......and the movement part is a critical factor. Plus....the silver lining is that you will appreciate whatever you decide to scrub. I start with kitchen, then go to bathrooms. If that's not cutting it.....I tackle the rooms that will impact me the most. It is Covid-safe, and if you have stairs, climb them. I put on loud music (beach boys or whatever works to make you want to dance) and sing when I clean......the rythmn helps keep me working....I scrub to the beat of the music. The music is enough distraction to keep my head from going in some negative spaces.....while I'm cleaning.

I had the same thought as @Deanna - whether you could get permission from your psych to up your gabapentin just a bit, to help you out, until your appointment.

I wish I had any tangible advice, @RussellSue . It IS worth remembering that what's going on right now are symptoms, not a weird personality shift. Sometimes, remembering that can make riding them out easier.

Just take deep breaths and try to remain calm until your next psyche visit. I read where you were taking Gabapentin in the other thread. That has to help.
Thank you.

I did not know until yesterday that gabapentin could stabilize moods. I was happy that it seemed to be helping my anxiety but I've been taking it for pain, myself.

Incidentally, with absolutely no awareness of the situation, I started taking gabapentin just as I reached Lithium blood levels that were lower than the therapeutic dose threshold. I imagine that the gabapentin is largely to blame for the fact that I weened off Lithium over the course of about a year without having major symptoms of a mood disorder that I was aware of -- that makes a whole lot more sense now that I understand that gabapentin can stabilize moods. I hadn't been above the therapeutic dose threshold on Lithium in the last 10 months. I also did not crash until I got some distressing news which leads me to believe that this incredible mood disaster I am in might be very short, especially now that I have been directed to restart a low dose of Lithium. Lose-dose Lithium and my current gabapentin dose got me through 3 moves and a lot of other issues, last year, so I am optimistic.

whether you could get permission from your psych to up your gabapentin just a bit, to help you out, until your appointment.
This is a good idea, but I've already been monkeying around with my gabapentin because of nerve compression pain and have decided that I cannot take anymore than I have been. Every time that I do, I fall into a hole about 5 hours after the extra dose and feel like dying. I'm already taking quite a bit in terms of psychiatric dosing.

I wish I had any tangible advice, @RussellSue . It IS worth remembering that what's going on right now are symptoms, not a weird personality shift. Sometimes, remembering that can make riding them out easier.
Thank you.

I didn't have any crying fits, yesterday, so I am hoping that getting back on a low Lithium dose will keep my head above water for the time being.

I have been feeling like a complete asshole, so I thank you for the reminder that I'm extra symptomatic and not a bad person, right now.

Just take deep breaths and try to remain calm until your next psyche visit
Damn it, I am trying.

I got back on 300 mgs of Lithium twice a day, but the pills are not extended-release, so mornings and late afternoons, I am right back where I was. I have another appointment in the morning with primary care and am hoping to get some extended-release tablets. In the meantime, my therapist said just exactly what you said here.

Damn it, I am trying.

I got back on 300 mgs of Lithium twice a day, but the pills are not extended-release, so mornings and late afternoons, I am right back where I was. I have another appointment in the morning with primary care and am hoping to get some extended-release tablets. In the meantime, my therapist said just exactly what you said here.
Sweet. I'll trade paychecks with your therapist!!! ( if we are both saying the same thing) lol!

I understand the time release tab, as well. They really are better.. So I agree. Also..tomorrow is Friday, already! You can do this!! 😃

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back