Mood swings

i'm looking for some advise from anyone, because no-one seems to understand me.

For the past 7 months i have been suffering from mood swings that i can no longer deal with, they affect my everyday life, they're draining, they take every bit of happiness out of my life. Alot of people have suggested to me that i should go and visit the doctor, I'm normally a person that can be open about things but for some reason going to a doctor has always scared me, i just think they'll tell me it's hormones and that i have nothing to worry about, i'm normal, i'm at that stage of my life where mood swings happen, but is it really normal to want to self harm or even kill yourself over these moods? Every day my moods seem to switch between feeling really happy to the point in which I feel like I'm on top of the world, to feeling really depressed, hopeless, agitated and angry. When my anger becomes bad, i often get urges to self harm or kill myself. I've only self harmed myself once and I've always said to myself i wouldn't do it again, so i revert to often hurting myself repeatedly. I often spend more time feeling depressed. I have also noticed that if i go on a high period, i will crash into a bad depressive state after. If there was any quick, painless way to end my life i'd take that option and do it right now.

I've got a bad history, i've tried to kill myself before.

I've been bullied at school, i've had anxiety problems, i've never gone to do the doctors but my anxiety was so bad to the point in which i was scared to go outside.

Last edited by a moderator:
i just think they'll tell me it's hormones and that i have nothing to worry about, i'm normal, i'm at that stage of my life where mood swings happen,
Given what you’re up against - wanting to hurt yourself, or worse - is this perhaps becoming something that might be worth risking?

For me? When I’m worried about seeing my doctor, I prepare. I go in with a very clear idea of exactly what I’m going to say, often with written notes. That helps me know that we’re going to deal with exactly the reason I’m there.

For the past 7 months i have been suffering from mood swings that i can no longer deal with, they affect my everyday life, they're draining, they take every bit of happiness out of my life. Alot of people have suggested to me that i should go and visit the doctor, I'm normally a person that can be open about things but for some reason going to a doctor has always scared me, i just think they'll tell me it's hormones and that i have nothing to worry about, i'm normal, i'm at that stage of my life where mood swings happen, but is it really normal to want to self harm or even kill yourself over these moods? Every day my moods seem to switch between feeling really happy to the point in which I feel like I'm on top of the world, to feeling really depressed, hopeless, agitated and angry. When my anger becomes bad, i often get urges to self harm or kill myself. I've only self harmed myself once and I've always said to myself i wouldn't do it again, so i revert to often hurting myself repeatedly. I often spend more time feeling depressed. I have also noticed that if i go on a high period, i will crash into a bad depressive state after. If there was any quick, painless way to end my life i'd take that option and do it right now.

I've been bullied at school, i've had anxiety problems, i've never gone to do the doctors but my anxiety was so bad to the point in which i was scared to go outside.
I can tell you right now, a doctor won't judge you the way other people a.k.a. society does. I thought this way before I spoke up and said to my own doctor, I have depression, give me something for it. Doctors see things from a medical point of view so they understand that things like depression, anxiety can also have a biological basis. Seniors often suffer from depression as part of their cognitive decline, not because they need to think happy thoughts, but because there is a biological reason. Doctors don't have the same viewpoint because they understand that emotions are chemicals that can be a result of a vast number of things. A doctor will help you figure out the best treatment plan because they see a patient who is suffering and it is their job to help.

And I understand your hopelessness, Trauma can paint even the prettiest picture black. You're not alone in feeling this way and I also understand how feeling this way can also hinder you from asking for help too. A doctor isn't going to judge, they are going to help and if they want to judge then they are a shitty doctor, you can get the same thing from a nosy obnoxious neighbor, go find another doctor because a real doctor wants to help you and will help you.

hello again, douglas. congratulations on finding the trust to open up a bit further.

in your december post, you mentioned that you are working with a new psychologist. are you still seeing him/her? is there any chance of using these questions to further that working relationship? they would be most excellent questions for a therapy session.

in the building of my own therapy network/program, i like to introduce my new variables one at a time so that i can evaluate each element of the equation more clearly. introducing too many variables at once makes it hard to be sure which element is having which impact.

I can tell you right now, a doctor won't judge you the way other people a.k.a. society does. I thought this way before I spoke up and said to my own doctor, I have depression, give me something for it. Doctors see things from a medical point of view so they understand that things like depression, anxiety can also have a biological basis. Seniors often suffer from depression as part of their cognitive decline, not because they need to think happy thoughts, but because there is a biological reason. Doctors don't have the same viewpoint because they understand that emotions are chemicals that can be a result of a vast number of things. A doctor will help you figure out the best treatment plan because they see a patient who is suffering and it is their job to help.

And I understand your hopelessness, Trauma can paint even the prettiest picture black. You're not alone in feeling this way and I also understand how feeling this way can also hinder you from asking for help too. A doctor isn't going to judge, they are going to help and if they want to judge then they are a shitty doctor, you can get the same thing from a nosy obnoxious neighbor, go find another doctor because a real doctor wants to help you and will help you with Onkyo TX-SR705 [60/116] Basic operations continued.
thank you so much for your suggestion

@douglasgerald I know all to well the “they are probably just going to say this…” routine. It took 5 years for me to be diagnosed with a rare disease. I was/am very consistently afraid of being accused of being a hypochondriac. I was advised not only to take notes in with me but to write it out like a letter. It kept me from downplaying my issues and apologizing all over the place. I write things better than I speak when stressing, especially in front of strangers, much of the time. That was the turning point for my doctor and I. I told him I was more comfortable with him reading, I handed him my iPad and he read everything. I was stressed while he was reading it but then he thanked me and said OK, then asked some clarification questions. Easiest Doc appointment I ever had.

I would even say let the doctor just read your post right here. It is clear and concise (much more than mine are!) and relays your fears and symptoms. Not saying it will work for you, just a small suggestion. 🤗

Back