• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Fibro More about fibro and myofascial pain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have been thinking quite a bit about myofascial adhesions, and my history of muscle/orthopedic injuries.

It is a sobering picture as I look back; the severity of my leg injuries seems kinda like a road map or history of my trauma and abuse. And how the whole thing effected me. Including the amazing levels (or layers) or denial.

It appears my legs sustained a serious repetitive use injury in the mid/late 90's - I had a "grand daddy" muscle spasm lock-up in the left leg. It was horrendous. Had to get a house call by my doc, who came and gave me a muscle relaxant injection. Unreal pain, leg was super inflamed and tender to touch.

So, I would say my life has been effected by CMP for at least 15+ years. I am in truth a chronic pain sufferer, and have been for quite some time. Pain management has become (in truth) my real lifestyle; it becomes so much clearer when one realizes what's going on.

Looking back, and especially when viewed through the veil of denial, it has been kinda overwhelming. I would say, looking back and maybe more clearly seeing my life, and all the suffering I blocked out, is very hard. The "good life" I tried to put together for myself - in my mind - seems like a desperate attempt at creating something descent, out of a near total wreck.

This clarity is very painful for me now.

This is all VERY important information for me. I really appreciate it. I took the hormonal imbalance issue to my gyno who lowered my HRT so I will see what happens with that. He refused to do a level check at this time. :cautious:. As the first of the year comes I will be replacing drs and see about checking into this further.

Do you get oxygen treatments? I have a gf that goes to a chiro and does, she says this helps.

Do you get oxygen treatments? I have a gf that goes to a chiro and does, she says this helps.

You know, I don't get oxygen treatments but, it's interesting because Devin describes myofascial adhesions as being starved for oxygen.

((James B)) ((Srain))

Thank you so much for all the information you've provided. Apart from my diabetes, angina, etc., My old GP diagnosed me as having FM a few years ago. All the systems that have been described make sense to me now. To many to repeat, however the constant pain from surgery (over 13 operations), removal of organs have left me in constant pain. It never abates day or night.
Then there's the ringing in the ears, the nerve pain in the fingers, hands, feet and toes. Headaches, stiff neck and shoulders. I won't go on you get my drift. My new GP tells me I have to learn to live with it. Gave me a large bottle of paracetamol and told me I could take up to eight a day. He's nuts... I only have one kidney and chronic kidney disease.
I will keep reading this thread for any information that may help. Bless you both. :)

Hi Loloma, thanks for sharing. :)

Can relate and empathize with the level of pain you describe. Started using a jacuzzi almost two years ago. 104 degrees F. It works so well for daily pain management, I moved to a city and got an apartment with a nice pool, and a great jacuzzi!

Had really bad sciatica before surgery, and bad enough lumbar degeneration to act like A-spondylitis; my auto-immune system freaked out, put me in the hospital with iritis (inflamed iris). Anyway, the jacuzzi (alternating with cool water) worked great, and got me through it.

This process can flush out the lactic acid, and other toxic byproducts of muscle (over) use. These toxins make it impossible for the muscles to heal; turns out muscles cannot heal (recover) in an acid state. Found this out the hard way long ago, now I understand why.

The other day just recently, my legs were aching bad. Sharp stabbing pain behind the left patella (knee) was firing off. Freaking sucks! So, into the jacuzzi. Slowly bring core temp up in the (104F) water. Drinking (alkaline bottled) water (like Arrowhead or Aquafina) key. Then doing longish dips in the regular (much cooler) pool, bring core temp back down. After alternating this for about an hour, my pain was so well reduced it felt (mentally) liberating. Big smile! Seems to work better when done w/ regularity.

Gentle movement while in the cooler water (walking moves, dance or yoga type moves) along with easy stretching type stuff, seems to help also...

Thanks again for your input here, Loloma. And best wishes for improved pain management. :tup:

Thank you for the information James. I don't have a nice (spa) bath anymore, did in Australia before my breakup so only have a shower. Next year hope to get an apartment with a large enough bathroom to put one in. They are so good for your muscle pain. I should really go to the pool but have issues now about my weight.

Have to go back to the gym tomorrow, I really must. This procrastination is a disaster and it's about time I snapped out of it. At my age I don't have time to waste. All in all if I can get together and loose the weight, I'm sure my physical and mental health will improve radically. I used to drink alkaline water a lot in Australia, have to check and see if it's available in Holland. I just need a good kick in the butt to get moving.:unsure:

Srain mentioned oxygen treatments. They make sense. Found this on the web, thought it good to put it here for completeness.

"A novel treatment modality for myofascial pain syndrome: hyperbaric oxygen therapy.

Abstract

The aim of the present study was to evaluate the effects of hyperbaric oxygen (HBO) therapy on myofascial pain syndrome (MPS).

Thirty patients with the diagnosis of MPS were divided into control groups. Patients in the HBO group received a total of 10 HBO treatments in 2 weeks. Patients in the control group received placebo treatment in a hyperbaric chamber.

Pain threshold and visual analogue scale (VAS) measurements were performed immediately before and after HBO therapy and 3 months thereafter.

Additionally, Pain Disability Index (PDI) and Short Form 12 Health Survey (SF-12) evaluations were done before HBO and after 3 months.

HBO therapy was well tolerated with no complications. In the HBO group, pain threshold significantly increased and VAS scores significantly decreased immediately after and 3 months after HBO therapy.

PDI, Mental and Physical Health SF-12 scores improved significantly with HBO therapy after 3 months compared with pretreatment values.

In the control group, pain thresholds, VAS score, and Mental Health SF-12 scores did not change with placebo treatment; however, significant improvement was observed in the Physical Health SF-12 test.

We concluded that HBO therapy may be a valuable alternative to other methods in the management of MPS. Our results warrant further randomized, double-blinded and placebo-controlled studies to evaluate the possible role of HBO in the management of MPS."

web address: ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed

Thanks again for mentioning this interesting form of therapy, Rain.

A cheaper way to go might be to go with an "oxygen concentrator" , I believe this is what my friend said she uses at home. They run somewhere around $800 but used $275 on up, depending.

I wikied it and they don't use tanks and can be portable. I'm thinking of doing this if nothing else for my Migraines, but yes, James, I read that as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back