• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

More Intensive Treatment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brokenchild

MyPTSD Pro
I'm just curious. The regular therapy I was getting left a lot to be desired, like therapy. I looked up trauma therapies online and found a place in West Virginia called Intensive Trauma Therapy (ITT). I've been there twice, a week each time.

It's an intensive outpatient program and you get 35 hours of 1-on-1 therapy each week. They use guided imagery (which they say is hypnosis, it's not) It really helped with with a lot of my issues but I'm still not 100% and can't afford to go back. They don't take insurance and most insurance companies won't pay for them as they aren't an "approved" type of treatment or something.

I've been thinking about going into a residential setting. It's more expensive than ITT but they have sliding fees and things like that. They also specialize in people who have been in cults or manipulated/exploited. A lot of the people that work there have personal experience.

Has anyone ever done anything like this and was it worth it?

I was in Intensive Outpatient for 3 months but my insurance only covered 3 hours of the day. I didn't even begin to start talking about my issues for almost 6 weeks. And that was barely scratching the surface. I've joined a group that helps my behavioral skills...more self-awareness, body reaction awareness etc. BUT I also wish there was more I could do. I would really like to try EMDR and something more intensive. I've been out of work for 5 months and I feel like getting better is my job. I feel like I'm not doing enough to get through this or learn more. If I had the opportunity...I'd go and see what happens. I've learned that money doesn't matter in all this. My health does.

EMDR didn't work for me. My therapist said I was in touch enough with my feelings or something like that. It's all rather blurry as I was pretty deep in an eating disorder at the time.

I have no insurance so money is a HUGE problem for me. I guess I'll just have to see what happens.

have you applied for disability in order to try to get medicaid? Depending on your circumstances, you might qualify. And while lots of inpatient places don't take medicaid, some intensive outpatient facilities do. Worth a try? red

I don't think I would qualify for disability. I go to college full time and work at my college's bookstore. I appear to be just fine. I guess I got a little too good at pretending everything is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back