• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Motivated To Do What?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosey

MyPTSD Pro
Does anyone else have this issue?

I feel really big urges that I want to do something, work wise I mean. maybe start my own business go into a career of some sort. I have been home for 12years now and I am grateful for having that time with my kids. I wish that were enough for me but it isnt.

The problem is that I cannot think of one thing that I feel comfortable with doing. It is literally pulling me apart and causing me so much upset. Why cant I see what I want to do. It upsets me because everyone I know is either in work, about to go back to work, retraining and so on but I am still here at home cleaning away. I am happy for those that have a talent to make use of, that have fallen into something or been lucky enough to have a job handed to them but feel frustrated to not have a skill or talent or plate.

Surely by the age of 40 I should be sorted on this one I dont want to spend my whole life at home but cannot see any way not to be.

It could have been me writing this post (even down to the 12 years and the age thinking...I am 38, almost 39). My social anxiety makes it really hard for me to find a job where maybe I work with only one other person.
I have seen a few posts recently of people that have started their own business to help ease the working anxiety but still give them a job. Is this something that might interest you?

It could have been me writing this post (even down to the 12 years and the age thinking...I am 38, almo...

I would love to have my own business but I wouldnt know what business. I feel so stuck and frustrated like I have all this motivation and drive but no direction. It frustrates me so much as I have supported so many people to follow their dream or use their talents but I dont have a dream or talent. I would like to think that there is more than this for me. So confusing right?

I would love to have my own business but I wouldnt know what business. I feel so stuck and frustrated lik...
I have lived in UK , and I did a course for women organized by the council. It was very good. It helped me to find out my job then. Could this be a begining for you? If you don't know what to do, first of all, you need to find out.
I know it is no easy, but can be done.
Also started my own business last year, but my ptsd make me stop. Working on feeling better, and start again. Don't give up on yourself, now is the time for you. Hugs.

It's a bit disheartening that there are so many of us that feel the same way.
Do you have any hobbies that you could turn into a part time job? ( I know a few people that have had luck with etsy and sites like that)
I think without having a true passion it would be hard to start up something of your own.
Where I used to live, they had job centers for people that had been out of the workforce, or have trouble working due to disability etc, to try and find something that would suit what they like as well as hours they might be able to work. I don't know if they would have something like that across the sea?
It is really frustrating for sure. Sitting at home, wanting to do more, but wondering just exactly what that could be. I really wish I had some better ideas for you, but I do have to say, in a way, it's nice that I am not alone in this frustration (if that make sense?) x

If you won the lottery... 5o Bazillion Pounds... Enough money to do whatever you wanted, however you wanted, for as long as you wanted? Sky the limit. What would you do? Make a list. An insane, gorgeous, free fall list of everything you would do with unlimited money.

If you can.

When I'm doing badly? I can't. The future doesn't exist properly. I can't actually see myself doing anything at all. >.< Added to that I cannot want things? I don't even want to eat/sleep/and other basic things. Much less serious to frivolous things. I know I'm starting to get better when I can see a future & when I can start to want stuff, again.

But if you can? Make the list. Then look at it. What's on it? Probably a lot of (lovely) silly stuff that would be fun for a few months, but you'd go spare if you had to do it all the time... And a few things that...that. You could do that & that & that for the rest of forever. And you know what? The silly stuff? Would make a f*cking awesome vacation, or hobby, or goal.

Don't try to make it an overly serious list, trying to find the "that". Add in everything silly. :D Everything "stupid" or "pointless" or "how embarrassing" :bag: For real, for true. Nothing but nothing is off limits (always sorta kinda wanted a collection of goblin toenails? To take a bath in jell-o? Add it to the dang list). And you don't have to show it to a single person. Ever. It's yours and yours alone.

What I've found is that in removing all limits? I get to the truth. The things I hide from myself, am to modest to even peek at, don't think I could ever have or deserve, so why bother wishing much less tying? And a lot of the things on my list are ridiculous. While others are mirrors held to my soul.

Once I know what I want? I can formulate a plan, with goals and reasonable steps, to get there.

I might not be able to fund an archeological expedition... But if it's a serious desire of my heart? I can volunteer at one, if I just want to go. If I'm very serious? It's one of my "that" items? I can go to school for archeology & become an archeologist. Or, if it's just a passing or regular fancy, I can curl up with an Elizabeth Peters / Barbara Mertz book and read about archeology (fiction / non-fiction).

Do you have a passion which you could transform into a money making opportunity? This is what I'm trying to do now. I won't ever get rich but I hope that I can grow my passion/business to a point where I can earn a decent living.

thank you all for the responses.

no i dont have any passions, or hobbies that i could use. I do have hobbies but even they do not give me a sense of fulfilment or purpose. I will have a go at the lottery list suggestion see if that turns anything up will be fun to do in anycase.

thank you all for the responses.

no i dont have any passions, or hobbies that i could use. I do have hob...
Also you may try doing some volunteer work in or around your area. Like with animals, or woman's shelters, donation center, some nonprofit organization. There are many in American, do you have any you can call where you live? They would be happy to have you for one day only, a couple of hours. I actually have received a great job offer that way. Another idea, look for a temp agency, some will help with a little training also. There are plenty of work opportunities on the internet. So maybe spend some time researching. Or take a online course of a area you may want to work in. Start these baby steps and get a feel for who you are. Have read of one person who had anxiety but noticed that it hasn't been a issue at their new job. So just try putting your big toe in the bathtub, one little step at a time. Who knows, you may surprise yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back