• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Movies that are too hard to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

koalaburger

Learning
I get upset over a few movies. The scene in Mommy Dearest where she goes hysterical over wire coat hangers. It is my mother to a tee over a streak of suds on the sink. This boy's life with De Niro. His belittling of his step son Leonardo De Caprio sets me off. Lately it was a mini series called Patrick Melrose. His father's contempt for his son was very hard to take and I had to stop watching. A friend cant watch Once Were Warriors about domestic violence in Maori communities. I have no problem with it because physical violence was minimal whereas he was beaten every night. I am trying to overcome the internalised self abuse and I am sick of cringing my way through life.

I am always aware and vigilant about whats in tv or movies. Just recently almost every channel has some drama or documentary on about child sex abuse which is a trigger for me . I also become hyper-vigilant at this time of year cos there are certain movies that seriously upset and trigger me - The nutty professor (jerry lewis) and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang - these movies were on the tv when some of the horrible stuff was being done to me ... i actually feel quite nauseous just writing this down.

Lots of stuff is too hard to watch! My wife taught me I didn't have to watch horror movies (scarred for life). What's on tv I can't watch mostly. We have fire tv I can't watch real tv. If I really like it that means I block out the stuff I can't handle or it's not there. I can suspend judgement for some things.

I actually have a really bad time with sitcoms where the jokes are mostly putting each other down or embarrassing situations.

Yea, I would avoid movies like that if they are triggers, but instead watch comedies, laughter is healing. Also, if you can't get something out of your mind, work thru fixing it to a better end in your imagination then you are stuck in the bad part. Also, taking magnesium and ginseng are great to get rid of sticky negative thoughts and help you sleep good, they calm the mind body and spirit. Listen to a good calm favorite audio or show on timer while going to sleep to turn off your mind. Best to you dear!

J can watch war movies that aren't about "his wars". Anything related to the wars or conflicts he was in he avoids like the plague. Not only because it's triggering but because they get the facts wrong and it really makes him mad.

The news is something we avoid too. He hates to watch the country/world he and his brothers fought and died for become so broken and divided. (Frankly, so do I)

Weirdly, for me, it's Shrek.
Right before the Westminster Terrorist Attack, I was walking along the South Bank, and I stopped to look at the Shrek's Adventure attraction as I hadn't seen it before. I remember thinking that it looked absolutely awful, and then continued on my way.
I should be grateful, as if I hadn't stopped for a moment to look at the attraction, I would most likely have died. But for me, Shrek is now permanently associated with that attack.

Season 2 of Reign. Season...I think it was 4, of Private Practice. Both deal with sexual trauma recovery and I found myself and my own reactions in some of them. There was time when I was facing what I went through and needed to talk about it when watching them felt needed.

Now it no longer is, and they to me are super emotionally well done, as in, they can hit you like a ton of bricks. Hence not watching them for now even if I choose rewatching the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back