• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Mr Laurie Comfort Mince Pie

• Thread starter Deleted member 20280
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 20280

Ok then, I am an ex military medic, a web-designer, a fully qualified bricklayer, a Ballet Dancer !! to name but a few of my qualifications.

I am also an accomplished part qualified chef........ so here goes.

Mr Laurie's Comfort Mince Pie.

Ingredients:-

500 grammes lean beef mince
1 x large white onion finely chopped
1 x large red sweet onion finely chopped,
3 x chestnut mushrooms finely grated
1 x courgette finely chopped
I can of baked beans
Salt and pepper to taste
Herbs of choice to taste
100 grammes grated cheddar cheese
Tomato puree
1 Heaped teaspoon of granulated sugar (optional)
A heavy dash of Worcestershire sauce

Method:-

Sweat off the mince and onions in a heavy base frying pan with the salt, pepper, mixed herbs, Worcestershire sauce, sugar and stock cubes, no additional oil is required.
When browned add the mushrooms and courgette direct to the meat and onion mix. Grate the cheese directly to the meat and vegetable mix and mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon, reduce the heat to half heat.

Add the baked beans direct to the mix and simmer for 20 minutes stirring periodically so that the mix does not stick to the bottom of the frying pan.

Potato Topping :-

6 large white potato's peeled and chopped,
1 small carton Creme Fresh
200 grammes each of mixed grated hard cheeses *Personally I use a mix of three for this. Cheddar, Red Leicester and Double Gloucester.
100 Ml of whole milk.
100 grammes butter

Method for Topping:-

Bring the Potato's to the boil in salted water and allow to simmer on medium heat until soft, strain and set aside to cool for 5 minutes, add the milk, butter, creme fresh and cheese's (Leaving a hand full of all three to one side to top the potato crust with later.)

Mash the potato mix until a creamy consistency is achieved.

Add the meat mix to a baking dish deep enough so that the meat mix covers 2 3 rd's of the dish and spoon the potato mix over this (remember to strain the excess fatty oils off the meat mix as these will simply seep through the potato topping and cause it to become very greasy.

Using a fork drag the fork across the top and *feather* the mashed potato into small tufts to break up the surface, Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the potato topping to form a delicious cheese crust to your dish.

Serve with:-

Par-boiled chopped carrot's, cauliflower and broccoli, al-dente to the taste.

Serve and enjoy :)

As an additional flavor explosion, mozzarella cheese can be shredded and added to the mashed potato mix for a quirky twist. I much prefer to use Mozzarella due to its stringy consistency but don't proffer it as a core ingredient due to the fact that not all cheeses are to everyone's delectation.

Mr Laurie's Easy Pork and Apple Sauce Casserole.

500 grammes lean diced pork
1 small carton fresh apple juice
1 small jar of apple puree
3 small-medium eating apples (cored and peeled then roughly chunked
2 x medium white onions, peeled and roughly chopped (not too small keep chunky)
2 cloves of garlic peeled, chopped and puree's
salt and pepper to taste

Method:-

Marinade the pork in the apple juice, puree and chopped apples with the spices as outlined above overnight.

Casserole vegetables

3 x large carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
2 x large parsnips peeled and roughly chopped
I medium swede, peeled and roughly cubed
3 x large leeks (trimmed and sliced
4 x large white potato's peeled and roughly chopped / cubed, place all vegetables in a salted casserole pot on the stove and allow to soak overnight to permit the starch from the potato's to leach out into the water.

** The next step is crucial in the process of making this casserole and MUST be adhered to with precise execution **

GO TO BED and sleep all night at least for a minimum of eight hours :)

When you awake the Pork chunks will have soaked up the apple juice and taken on the flavors of the herbs and spices.

Strain the vegetable and replace the water with fresh cold water

Place the meat mix in a large oiled skillet or frying pan and cook through, slowly simmering once at the boil point and place the vegetable pan on the back ring to simmer slowly, so as not to overcook the vegetable, carefully when the juices of the meat mix have reduced start adding water by the ladle to the meat mix to keep the moisture in the pork.

NOW !! comes the magic part !!

Add the Apple Puree to the Meat mix and slowly fold it into the mix, Remove 50% of the water from the vegetable, keeping them just covered under the water mark, add the meat mix with the onions to the vegetable mix and allow to simmer together for 20 minutes.

Once all ingredients have infused together the tastes will mingle together,

Serve with :-

Crusty Cobber bread, freshly baked in the oven, lashed with fresh salted butter. Sit back and Enjoy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back