• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Mt. Vet- Help With Disability Claim

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmontgomery

New Here
While talking to a good Friend and fellow Vet the other day it was explained to me that I could possibily put in a PTSD disability claim. I sure feel overwhelmed by all this. I never had any idea that my reoccuring dreams and memories could have been at play in some of the decisions I've made in my life that gotten me where I'm at now in my life. A rep from the VFW is helping me submit my claim. I sure would appriciate any hints, advice or encouragement I can get. Thanks, MT. Vet. 66 till 69

Hi pmontgomery,

Welcome to the forum. I think you will find a lot of reading material here to help get you started. I'm not a vet either, so I have no advice to give on that subject, but maybe others here can do that?

I just wanted to say hello and welcome you.

Tammy

Welcome to the forum, lovely to have you. For information on disability you may want to begin by reading the articles contained in the following forum area, do to with entitlements of various kinds:

[DLMURL]http://www.ptsdforum.org/forum13.html[/DLMURL]

Welcome to the forum. My husband receives VA benefits for medical reasons, so I am somewhat familiar with the system. I know that right now, the VA seems to be focused on PTSD due to the fact that we have so many troops engaged in combat right now. However, I don't know if this is only a "public facade" or if they are really recognizing the havoc PTSD can cause. Thank you for your service to our country and I hope that the VA helps you as much as possible.

Hi and welcome to the forum. Thank you for your service and I hope you find the information you need.

vst

Hi, PMontgomery. I got a 50% disability rating and am getting Chapter 31 to go back to school. The Department of Veteran's Affairs applied for me, and I had forgotten. When I was thinking maybe I should apply, I got a call in for an interview. (Four years later). After the evaluation, I waited for a year and was rejected because they had put the wrong year for the date of the traumatizing event on the paperwork. I corrected it, and about six months later got my award.

I've heard a lot about how the American Legion can help with this. May be the only person in the country refusing to ask for or accept a higher disability rating. Don't know about VFW, but help is help. You can apply for higher disability after you get an award if your condition has declined and the VA agrees.

Make sure everything is documented and correct. Rumor has it that it's routine to reject the first time (if you don't have back-up), and that 50% is usually the first offer if they think the disability is substantial. Some people have a 10% rating. A 100% rating can make you a ward of the VA, so do a lot of research, read the fine print, and be honest in the evaluation.

No matter how snarky the bureaucracy may be, most of the evaluators know their stuff. Be advised that the interview can be a huge trigger---especially if you haven't talked about the things that upset you much. They want details.

I have given this much thought myself. I am already a 50% rating after 4 years of fighting they gave me 10% with out a fight. I did not put in for PTSD. Have read it is very hard to prove and they will want letters from people that were there and copy of logs from the command. I don't know how true it is. I just keep going to the councilor and we work at it. I may try to do something with the VA but It will be hard, I worked very hard to make the proof of everything disappear. Even had Friend remove papers out of medical record. I did not keep copy . Stupid.

Seaveevet, a professional diagnosis is a lot of evidence. You've been in combat. I had been seeing a VA psychiatrist for years being treated for PTSD and ADHD and things I don't have. There were records that I mentioned the event that traumatized me from a lot of civilian counselors I had seen. Do you have the names and addresses of counselors you've talked to about this?

They're very well trained to spot malingering and they know PTSD. The interview was intense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back