• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Mthfr Gene Mutation Supplement Treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crow

MyPTSD Pro
I was going to wait a few months to post this but after talking with my psychiatrist yesterday, she convinced me that posting now might help someone.

My life has been a living hell. I have felt like I'm barely hanging on by my finger nails most of the time. I manage to keep a job but that's about it. I am so freaking symptomatic. I was misdiagnosed with bipolar years ago and the meds nearly killed me. Finally I was diagnosed correctly with cptsd and therapy has helped immensely but I never have felt like I was going to make it.

Then two months ago my psychiatrist requested I be tested for MTHFR gene mutation. My primary rolled her eyes when I made the request but she ran the bloodwork. Came back positive for the c677t mutation - the one that causes havoc in the body and mind.

Pdoc put me on some specialized supplements. I won't mention them here because different mutations require different supplements and what I'm taking now will make someone with another mutation very sick. But basically some fancy stuff mixed with b vitamins. Been on them eleven days now. Here's a small list of things NOT happening anymore:
  • No more muscle spasms & my hands don't shake anymore
  • Balance is perfect (I fall a lot)
  • Extremely mild panic attacks - coming from debilitating collapse attacks nearly every morning and not being able to be in public crowds
  • The veins in my legs no longer bulge out and hurt
  • I wake up NOT confused about where I am.
  • More mental focus and clear thinking
  • ENERGY - I was sleeping 15-18 hours a day. Now 7 gets me through just fine.
  • I can breath easily for the first time in my remembering
  • No pain in the morning. I didn't realize how much pain I was in until it disappeared.
  • DEPRESSION IS GONE! NOT HERE! FOR ELEVEN DAYS!
  • Skin is looking good,.
  • Being in crowds and meeting new people aren't scary anymore. I actually have been on a date for the first time in two years.
  • I'm able to cook again. I haven't been able to. I'd go into a major panic attack.
These are just a few. All from a few supplements every day and a change in food intake. All in 11 days.

You can do a 23andme dot com genetic test and get all kinds of interesting information including the MTHFR mutation. I paid nearly $400 for a single test at my doctor's office which insurance didn't cover. 23andme is only $99.

Pdoc so wants people to know about this. She thinks most people with trauma and diagnosed with bipolar, borderline, and adhd are probably positive for the mutation and the treatment is so simple.

If you have any questions, please ask. Most likely I'll google the answers. There are great resources on FB and forums for the specific mutations. It's hope. And it's real.

Wow! That's fantastic! I really hope that things continue to improve, because there pretty impressive!

I think my psychiatrist told me something about this a while back...but wasn't sure if we should just yet. I guess it's expensive, but the company that would do it had a low fee if you met certain income guidelines.

One thing that she did was make sure I added a B-6 and magnesium to my diet while we figure things out.

It's so worth it @Panda Bear ! Hope you can find a way to test. Just amazing. My pdoc has four clients so far who've tested positive. I'm just the latest. All of us are making lightning speed progress. It's amazing to me that what's held up my healing wasn't a mental deficit but purely physical. I think I'm going to order the 23andme report when I have extra money again. Pdoc suggested I have another mutation based on some of the extreme side effects.

Last edited:
What's the link between cPTSD amd MTHFR mutation? That if the mutation is familial the anxiety/depression is part of parents' mental health picture? I have cPTSD and blatantly at least one mutation as did/do my parents who were/are undiagnosed BPD/NPD. Our 7 year old clearly has at least one mutation (tt, digestive issues, anxiety etc) as unfortunately I was unaware before pregnancy and the environment wasn't ideal for him. Now to find a functional doctor here in Yorkshire UK and support ourselves.

I was going to wait a few months to post this but after talking with my psychiatrist yesterday, she...
I just found out I have heterozygous MTFHR C667T, the mental health problematic gene myself. I have vein issues in my legs lower body (varicose), and all of the symptoms of extremely low folic acid (but I can't process 70% of the regular folic acid found in the American diet, and bread is bad for me as the folic acid builds up to toxic levels that can't be broken down), and have symtoms of high homeosystine, with b vitamin deficiency. I also when drinking one or two beers get maple syrup urine due to low folic acid and b vitamins causing my body to not digest certain amino acids when low on folic acid (alcohol makes folic acid, and some b vitamins with amino acids go straight through me).
I am getting the right already broken down and activated folic acid today with good b suplaments. This gene type is known to develop ptsd, and major depression with trauma. High homosystein levels are known to cause depression, and can exacerbate mental health problems thus lead to a lot of bad mental health diagnosis.
I was a drug Ginny Pig for over 20 years. I can relate so much to your post. I need to go to an MD now, and get fully checked, and get my health in order.
Thanks for your post above. I can relate. Making a dr apointment today.....
My psychiatrists found this through drug genetic testing. I suggest it to everyone who can do it.

@MyDogsLoveMe I am so glad my post helped. And have hope! Life has only gotten easier as the months go on. I am continually adding more supplements - guided by my pdoc instead of my med doc. Pdoc has a better grasp of the mutation (I'm homogeneous). Med doc tried to put me on Deplin but it was too high a dose. I'm now on a very small sublingual alternative and my depression has literally disappeared.

Sending you lots of light. Please message me if you have specific questions. There are great Facebook groups and there's a forum similar to this one. Tons of information out there.

I am going to ask my Gp for this test When I have my appt this month. I know Medicare pays for one of them. Think the one @MyDogsLoveMe talked about.
Here I am in PTSD maintenance and my body pain is going to kill me!
Thanks for the share Crow. And to be depression free?? Only a dream!

btw, the Methylation Complete by Neurobiologix has been a life saver. I take 3-4 a day. Other clients of pdoc only take one or two. I also started a D3 sublingual which is helping me. And the other 'magic' supplement is Country Life Methylfolate 800mg sublingual. This is the Deplin alternative and I take two a day most days. It's the one that has really combatted the left over depression I was still battling when my energy came back from the Methylation Complete and clean eating. Clean eating is essential!!!! No processed food. Folic acid is poison. I also do another Neurobiologix supplement for focus, chelated magnesium at night and throw in ginger and baby aspirin and turmeric. Oh I also discovered my acid reflux was not from too much stomach acid, but too little. So I take a pepsin pill to add acid back in after a big meal. Has helped my digestion and completely stopped reflux. Who knew low acid mimicked high acid?

Neurobiologix is a wonderful, quality brand. Highly recommend. And if you can get a doctor to sign up and order the supplements, they're much cheaper.

basically some fancy stuff mixed with b vitamins

I've got the opposite problem. I accidentally started using a B-Complex with the special folate, L-Methylfolate, and had a wicked reaction. I couldn't sleep. I was wired and keyed up all the time. Skin crawling. Severe anxiety. Muscle aches. When I'm depressed I can't sleep. Most people sleep too much when they're depressed. I have a gene mutation which makes taking L-Methylfolate impossible.

I was going to wait a few months to post this but after talking with my psychiatrist yesterday, she convin...
Do you have 2 mutations on this gene or only one? The reason I am asking is because I have severe PTSD, only diagnosed by one counsellor and one psychologist - all the psychiatrists want to back each other up and say I've got bipolar even though I have NO bipolar symptoms/characteristics and all the classic symptoms of PTSD - now full blown because it's been untreated for more than 10yrs and I've had massive bullying and social persecution for being labelled a nutcase by the psychiatrists in that time too. I'm curious as to what B-vitamin supplements you're on because my improvement has not been as dramatic with 400mg B2, 1mg B12 and 500mcg folinic acid, but maybe it's because I'm not on the right combination yet. I've been on 50mg topiramate twice daily to try to deal with my muscle shakes/tremor and I did not realise that could be part of the mthfr c677t mutation. I'd appreciate any insights you've got from your own experiences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back