• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

My First Really Scary Nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.

SweetpinNH

Learning
I've occasionally had bad dreams, but not any that were so scary that they keep me awake or stay with me the next day.

Until last night . . . this morning DH told me I was thrashing in my sleep and then I reached out and tried to grab something and I scratched his back in the process. I also had a short conversation with him and told him "the taxi driver won't let me out and I'm going to kill him". A few minutes after that I was still thrashing and moaning. DH woke me up then.

I remember being woke up and this is what scares me. The first figure I saw was a male figure that scared the heck out of me. I quickly realized it was DH. I quickly settled down in DH's arms and fell asleep.

I've been anxious all day today trying to figure out what the dream meant and who the male figure that scared me so much. I know it's not DH as he is not the cause of my PTSD. I'm also anxious because I don't know if this is the start of a new night behavior. I would hate to think that I could hurt DH in the middle of the night. Or do something strange when I'm home alone. I did not take any sleep meds last night so I don't think that's the problem. DH told me that when I do take sleep meds I generally don't have bad dreams.

I see my therapist tomorrow and I can't wait to see what she has to day about the dream.

Does anyone have any insights they are willing to share or what I should be concerned about? Thanks!

My insight is limited.
I have done the same plenty of times, and I am happy to say have not harmed anyone while in a dream state...That I know of, anyway :)
I have a big thing about dreams; they fascinate me huge. I keep a dream journal, as I have had nightmares since I can remember, which is about 3 years old. They have simply become part of the scenery for me, which is kinda scary when I think of it.
But one thing I am sure about is that I have never harmed anyone while sleeping. I am sure that these cases are limited. But for sure, mention it to your therapist and she what he/she says. I'd love to know, so perhaps you could post, if it's not too personal?

Best of luck,
Annie

Annie,

I shared my dream with my therapist today. Here is what we decided it meant:

On Monday my boss (the biggest reason I developed PTSD) asked me to attend an all day sales meeting. I have been helping him prep for the meeting working from home. I didn't see any reason why I needed to be at the meeting, plus it was the first time in 4 months I would be sitting in a true "work" environment with people I have worked with for several years. Lucky for me DH and I work together and he was at the meeting too.

At the beginning of the meeting my boss asked me to sit at the front of the room with him and I refused. I was not going to put myself that close to him for 9 hours. Instead I sat at the other end of the room next to DH.

My therapist thinks the taxi driver in my dream was my boss and I was going to "kill" him because I didn't want to be at the meeting. I can understand that explanation.

She also wants to me to speak with my primary care doctor about my meds. I'm on 75 mg of Effexor and haven't had any problems with it. She wants to be certain that the meds aren't causing sleep disturbances I shouldn't be having.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back