• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

My Girlfriend's Starting Exposure Therapy... Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hopepatience

New Here
hello everybody! I recently found this forum, and am grateful that there is a community where people with these similar problems can communicate openly. A very brief history...My girlfriend has been in dialectic behavioural therapy for quite some time, and has recently began exposure therapy...I have read that this is a wonderful tool for confronting past trauma, and a very large step in minimizing activation and triggers...in the long run. Presently, however, she is extremely activated, and can't give emotional support, no matter how small because she, "has nothing left to give right now, to anyone". Has anyone ever dealt with this, and can give advice?

You will find many kindred souls in the spouse section who can say that they have heard exactly what you have and deal with it daily. Welcome to the forum and good luck.

Welcome to the forum HP. What you describe is typical under the circumstances. Think of it like this, if both your parents died and all your siblings, would you have the capacity to be available to someone else at that time? That is the level and intensity she is enduring through this time basically.

hey, welcome to the forum. seems like she's getting good help(and she has you).patience and time seem to be our best friends.
cathy

For what my words are worth ive been doing exposure therapy for nearly three months working threw my different issues. Its the hardest thing i have ever done and very real and scary it would be so easy to back away from therapy but im sure its working for me slowly but its a step forward. Best of luck Cheers Nugget

Welcome, your being there means alot to her. When your where she is it's so hard to express even the smallest amount of your emmotions. You sound like an understanding and caring person. The world needs more of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back