• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

My Husband is Having a Tough Time With My PTSD Right Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

trial'n'error

Confident
Hi all,
I am new to dealing with trauma because up until very recently, I have repressed memories of much of my trauma and denied it ever happened. For a while, my husband has thought I had multiple personalities or maybe was psychotic. I've had a hell of a time because my denial and other defense techniques were so tough that the most significant memories have had to cause huge disruptions in order to burst forth... sleep loss, rages, irrational behavior, paranoia, etc etc etc.

Now that the "truth" is coming out and I'm beginning to feel more relieved, my beloved husband is so weary. He really wants to support me but I'm scared that it's too much for hi - especially since it's taken years already to get to this point. For reasons beyond our control, our income is really low this month, so we can't afford for me to start back in therapy quite yet, so I've tried to hold everything in rather than burden him - a very costly strategy. It's resulted in a terrible bad vibe and irritability from me that I'm sure is even worse than dumping all my past crap on him.

Today, he told me I'd better start talking or my thinly veiled anger was going to destroy us. I have such a flood of memories of my mom's abuse and dad's lack of help, as well as later traumas, it's been torture. So today I started talking. At first it was good and relieving for both of us, but it seemed I could sense his exhaustion after a while... Of course that could be my rampaging paranoia/lack of trust in others caused by the abuse in my past. Now he has gone to bed with a headache. He's trying to lose weight and that probably doesn't help with the headaches, but I can't help but worry that my past is a lot for him to deal with. However, he is really my only support person right now.

I don't know exactly where I'm going with this but just wanted to get it out there for folks to discuss. I would like to know how best to communicate and heal without further harming the man I love and our relationship. I guess that's a good place to start... any suggestions?
Blessings,
trial'n'error

Trial'n'error I am by no means an expert, not even close but my thoughts are that dealing with a male is different from a female. Females generally are more inclined to talk including the nitty gritty details where males do better with being 'smacked' with the brief version and the facts. If you go on and on men just turn off.

My suggestion would be to tell him but only the brief version of the facts and not go into all the detail....like a summary of the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back