• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

My mind is a time bomb tonight...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got really panicked about one thing, so much so that I could barely think, and had to do nothing for a while. But I don't think I could hold that in anymore(did all week). I got so freaked out, in the last hour, I made notes for what I want to do tomorrow, turned off my phone, wrote few topics on here, texted a friend and so on...I'm frantic. And I can say I'm going to rest and do nothing all night, but now, any time I have the time to think I start thinking of one of those things that worry me, but I leave for later(like dating) and it explodes into another cluster of worry and panic. It's like I have to think about nothing tonight unless I want it to get all dark.

When I’m like that I find that it shifts eventually and then I have to pay attention to how it got shifted. For me if I focus on the problem and try to shift the worry, obsession away it doesn’t go. What I’m learning is to trust it will go if I do nothing towards getting rid of it and more towards just doing something else. The difficulty lays in what else to do? For me it might be painting or reading or filling in a crossword. I can’t focus on anything but the crossword so the thing that is drawing me away goes on it’s own. This takes practice and awareness that if you leave it alone and do something else it goes.

Hi SeekingAfrica, I hope you were able to calm down and rest for the night. I relate with you. I had to crawl out of bed because my head won't turn off and I am struggling with anxiety again. It's been a tough weekend for that. So, this is my current distraction...reading posts. Let's hope that Monday brings us calmness and a clear focus for the day's tasks.

For me the best answer so far when it should be ‘relax’ or ‘sleep’ time is audio books.

Because unlike meditation scripts or something there is a world to lose my self in, and if I do start to thought spiral I can try and steer myself back to the book. I choose entertaining, not stressful genres. For me this is often young adult books, because they are imaginative and low on cynicism and easy to follow if I do have a spiral ;) .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back