• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

My parents live in a bubble

Status
Not open for further replies.

macbeth

MyPTSD Pro
For as long as i can remember my parents have been really close. A good thing? No frankly. My mum had mental health issues. My dad did everything he could to protect her from the triggers of daily life. But heres the thing. We were the ones who she needsd protection from. We were her triggers. I was raised to look after my mum. From the word go i had to behave in a way that would not upset mother. By the way we were told that anything from bad grades to a simple eveyday prob was enough to upset mother would try to kill herself in my world. The burden was put on mine and my sisters shoulders early on that we were responsible for mums happiness thereforr not killing herself was our responsibility .to this day my parents live by this idea that anything on the outside is a threat to my mums happiness therefore protecting her from suicide

That is a lot of responsibility for children, holy moly. Here is a virtual hug :hug:

I can relate somewhat, we were always told my mom needed taking care of and we had to help her with everything. She always treated us like slaves of the household because of this and manipulated my dad and one of her therapists into relaying that same message to us.

There never seemed room enough for us to live our own lives, but we were often shooed away into basements and bedrooms if we were needed to do things, or listen to her f'd up stories of why her life sucked so bad.

Like you my parents still live to this mentality.... so frustrating to deal with when the curtain is pulled back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back