• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Other My PCP treats me like I am a hypochondriac because I'm PTSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Changing4Best

MyPTSD Pro
I overheard one of the other nurses ask her something about me, and she replied, "She's PTSD." with a tone of voice as if she were rolling her eyes. She poo poos everything I come to see her about as if it is nothing. I want to change providers, but I don't want this attitude showing up in my medical records. Usually when one switches Dr.s, they want your records. One time I even stole my records from a Dr.'s office, way back when... so as to prevent this very thing from happening. We had to reconstruct them with the New MD, but I did not mind taking the time.

These days there is no doing such a thing, what with everything being computerized and available all over the place. I went to a different Urgent Care last Monday and the NP there thinks I might have congestive heart failure (CHF). Meanwhile, the other office has been jerking me around for a year or so, acting as if my symptoms are in my mind.

So I go in for some blood work next Monday, after having taken the 7 day prescription I was given this past Monday.

I'm frustrated. And I am scared! CHF is serious. And to think that I have not been being taken seriously, when it was most important for me to have been treated with extra care!

Could be a bit of doc shopping, until you find someone compatible.

The new person can form their own opinion, regardless of references received before. If that is in the way of care, you can switch them again.

No need for things like stealing records, you could inform them of the mistreatment and talk of your concerns until something changes.

One other thing? If a douche doc, they are likely that to everyone, not just you. So somewhere to find allies, other uncomfortable with the practices patients.

Other thing to keep in mind? This was a nurse. With a verbal comment. She can make comments days in and days out... does not reflect on anything the doctors have going on in your treatment. Mind who has a say in what, vs. what is their personal, even if unlikable, opinion.

You can also use their disbelief to point the incompetence out. In, knowing the battery of tests you need / researching ahead, and demanding they be made if nothing else FOR ruling out it aint all in your head. Which should be what they do, find and correct treat the cause, or find someone who will.

& They should mind the comorbidity of psych disorders & heart conditions, so that is something else you can talk to them about... The way they treat psych disorders as not mattering for physiological issues.

It probably wasn't even a nurse. Doctors now use Medical Assistants, which takes a year of school. One step up from a nursing assistant. I often find that they call themselves nurses when they legally have no right to, and pretend to know when they don't. My doctor's MA has a personality of a post. Then she makes horrible statements. I'm usually in a full blown panic attack when the doctor walks in.

Did they do a blood test for CHF? I was diagnosed with it twice, even though I never had it. You need to have an echocardiogram to tell. Can you ask for a referral to a cardiologist? I'm sorry you're being treated that way, no one deserves that.

I had a echocardiogram a year or two ago and some Dr. who was not a Cardiologist read it and said it came out "normal." My insurance refused to pay that Dr. and since they said I was not liable for the bill, I did not pay either.

I am to have a battery of blood tests next Monday, so I assume the CHF test will be among them.

She is a Nurse Practitioner, which means she can prescribe meds. I think that is a level above a nurse, actually.

As to "Doc shopping," I live way out in the boonies, and there are very few Drs. here. The closest Cardiologist is something like 2.5 hours from here, sigh....

I overheard one of the other nurses ask her something about me, and she replied, "She's PTSD." with a tone of voice as if she were rolling her eyes. She poo poos everything I come to see her about as if it is nothing. I want to change providers, but I don't want this attitude showing up in my medical records. Usually when one switches Dr.s, they want your records. One time I even stole my records from a Dr.'s office, way back when... so as to prevent this very thing from happening. We had to reconstruct them with the New MD, but I did not mind taking the time.

These days there is no doing such a thing, what with everything being computerized and available all over the place. I went to a different Urgent Care last Monday and the NP there thinks I might have congestive heart failure (CHF). Meanwhile, the other office has been jerking me around for a year or so, acting as if my symptoms are in my mind.

So I go in for some blood work next Monday, after having taken the 7 day prescription I was given this past Monday.

I'm frustrated. And I am scared! CHF is serious. And to think that I have not been being taken seriously, when it was most important for me to have been treated with extra care!

As the patient, you have the right to request a complete copy of your medial record and your mental health records. I just got a copy and read through mine before switching docs. Then hand them the stuff you want to see. Did that once, and I think that can stop bias's from spreading to your new doc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back