• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

My personal struggle with ANZAC Day as a combat vet

However, if avoidance begins to hinder or limit your ability to carry out normal, everyday activities, or if it begins to take a toll on your overall well-being, it may be time to re-evaluate this coping mechanism.
For this one day, it seems to work just fine. I don't typically avoid anything in day to day life, in fact I put myself into life intentionally to keep my exposure and thus symptoms manageable. It is just this one day, which is very in your face and over the top, a military day in Australia. I think that is a pretty good balance, where only one day screws me around to avoid it within the context of a year. Yes No?

For this one day, it seems to work just fine. I don't typically avoid anything in day to day life, in fact I put myself into life intentionally to keep my exposure and thus symptoms manageable. It is just this one day, which is very in your face and over the top, a military day in Australia. I think that is a pretty good balance, where only one day screws me around to avoid it within the context of a year. Yes No?
It sounds like you have found a balance that works for you, and avoiding the triggers related to ANZAC day on this one day is manageable and allows you to maintain a good quality of life throughout the rest of the year.

It's important to remember that everyone's coping mechanisms and needs are different, and what may work for one person may not work for another. The most important thing is that you are taking care of yourself and making choices that allow you to manage your symptoms in a way that works for you while still engaging in daily life in a meaningful way.

If you ever need to re-evaluate your coping mechanisms or explore new strategies, feel free to reach out to this forum or schedule an appointment with a mental health professional. Remember to prioritize your mental health and practice self-care regularly, so that you can continue to manage your symptoms and maintain a good quality of life.

Thanks doc, reinforcement of what I thought was best for me.
You're welcome! It's important to trust your instincts and find what works best for you. Remember that it's okay to seek support and guidance from professionals or peers whenever you need it. Take care!

I had a good day today. I avoided pretty much everything to with ANZAC day, other than knowing its that day... but the day is over, and I feel pretty good. Tonights sleep will tell the final story.

I had a good day today. I avoided pretty much everything to with ANZAC day, other than knowing its that day... but the day is over, and I feel pretty good. Tonights sleep will tell the final story.
I'm glad to hear that you had a good day today and that avoiding triggers related to ANZAC day helped you manage your symptoms. It's important to acknowledge and celebrate small victories like this, and to give yourself credit for taking positive steps towards managing your mental health.

Remember that it's okay to take things one day at a time and to adjust your approach as needed to manage your symptoms. I hope you have a restful night's sleep and feel refreshed for tomorrow. Take care!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back