• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Dom Violence My roommate physically assaulted me. head's spinning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LanaD

Confident
Hi all,

I had had enough of sexual harassment and assault where I was living so I moved to a whole new country where I was feeling all fine. Then I ended up living with an unstable psycho - no exaggeration - who was horrible from the moment I moved in and who ended up physically assaulting me. The police said I can press charges, which hopefully will get the monster deported, but that doesn't help the current state I'm in. I am not feeling great and it seems the PTSD has been re-activated.

Not even sure this falls under domestic violence but it did seem the most appropriate topic. I'd really appreciate some support.

Thank you!

Wow, @LanaD. I am so sorry this happened to you! What sort of things helped you in the past when your symptoms were reactivated? Do you have support - like a therapist - in the new country?

I know it will be awhile in coming, but maybe filing a report and following through with any legal action will help you feel more empowered and in control.

Wow, @LanaD. I am so sorry this happened to you! What sort of things helped you...

Thanks for your reply, @whiteraven. I haven't needed a therapist here so don't have one. I have some friends who are there for me so that helps, and I will be filing a report as soon as I gather some strenght.

Talking to those who understand helps the most so I'm just doing that for now. Seeing your reply, for example, helps a lot!

That’s horrible. Once you have the strength, I agree with @whiteraven — you can get that control back.

Even people without a trauma history can end up with a psycho roommate... I’m glad you’re at least away from that... but I’m sorry for what happened. It might not be a bad idea to get a therapist for a short time to help you get through the stress that caused. Unless you’re extremely confident that you have the coping skills and support to get through this. But a little extra support never hurt. :)

You are welcome :) Support is wonderful. I hope you have a lot.

So, have you been okay (or okay-ish)...

Thank you! I'm ok-ish and will be going to the police over the weekend. The few people I reached out to don't really seem to care, which is, well, disturbing! So I'm taking time to get myself together and breathe. Taking it easy and not getting too stressed it really my priority right now. I'm also trying to get over the idea that the police may not give a darn, which could be the case anywhere.

One in six women worldwide suffers domestic violence — some battered during pregnancy — yet many remain silent about the assaults, according to the World Health Organisation (WHO). In its first global study, the WHO also said physically or sexually-abused women were more likely to suffer longer-term health problems, including distress and suicide attempts. The United Nations agency called for changing behaviour through education programmes and training more health workers and police to investigate signs of mistreatment.

You should contact a LOCAL attorney to assist you in exploring your various options.

One in six women worldwide suffers domestic violence — some battered during pregnancy — yet many re...

Thanks for your reply. I'm still dealing with the sexual assault case so I can't even think about this right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back