• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

My Sleep Is So Much Better

Status
Not open for further replies.

hithere

MyPTSD Pro
I still have nights where I can't sleep. this past year those nights are usually "dark night of the soul" type nights-where it is emotional suffering. I'm "good" during the day and then in the night it is quiet and I can't keep my mind occupied so it goes to morbid thinking & suffering from losses, and life has no meaning and just ugly feelings.

For my entire life I did not sleep well at all. My grown children still make jokes about my sleep patterns and how the slightest sound at night made me alert and vigilant and according to my children "crazy." Most nights when I did finally pass out I would wake up in a completely different room, or on the floor far from my bed. The slightest noise I would scream out loud. I often would awaken and swear there was a man "lurking" in my bedroom. My dreams would often terrify me. I never connected my childhood, the murder attempts, and ALLLLLL the other shit to my sleep problems.

Two years ago as I worked on CPT for 12 sessions with the childhood knife attacks murder attempts--and I was amazed how I could start to sleep naturally. So that's a cool positive outcome of my CPT therapy.

I really just wanted to post here also that I started using essential oils of all different kinds this year. I can say with certainty It is not a placebo effect. It is helping me sleep more soundly and my husband too. There may be a forum post about diffusing oils to help sleep, but I'm truly amazed at how well I sleep and don't wake up when I've diffused oils before bedtime.

Hello @hithere

May I ask which essential oils are working for you? I have several bottles of essential oils as well as skin and hair grade fragrance oils. I like peppermint oil a lot for my depression as it reminds me of childhood Christmases. I am pretty new to using oils and I would appreciate your input as to what works.

By the way, I am happy that CPT helped your sleep.

Thanks,
Lionheart

Hello @hithere

May I ask which essential oils are working for you? I have several bottles of essential oils as well as skin and hair grade fragrance oils. I like peppermint oil a lot for my depression as it reminds me of childhood Christmases. I am pretty new to using oils and I would appreciate your input as to what works.

Thanks,
Lionheart
Hi LionHeart, I have an essential oil store in my town that buys quality organic sourced oils. I first used just "lavender" in a diffuser that steams it into the air. I did this for about an hour before bed in the same room I was in. It really made a big difference.

I then purchased through a friend a do-Terra blend called "Balance" - it has Spruce, Ho Wood, Frankincense, Blue Tansy, and Blue Chamomile . It really helps me sleep the best, I think. I'm asking the store in my town to try and make a similar blend for me.

I have diffused Wild orange and it has an uplifting effect with the citrus, but diffusing citrus will cause my skin to burn when outside, it causes a senstivity to light, so I have to use heavy spf if I go outside alot after using the citrus oils.

I also use a blend called OnGuard that has Wild Orange Peel, Clove Bud, Cinnamon Leaf, Cinnamon Bark, Eucalyptus Leaf, and Rosemary Leaf/Flower essential oils.

I have been diffusing jasmine and ylang ylang and it's really floral but pleasant. I use a diffuser that puts steam in the air. There are some others too. Rose is very expensive but I bought some anyway and have been diffusing it and also using it on my skin with jojoba oil, and it really promotes a feeling of connection to others-those loving feelings. I have been needing those.

I'm glad with such a hard childhood that Christmas was still a joyous time in your memories. That thought made me happy.

Hello @hithere

Thanks,
Lionheart

@Lionheart777 I found scented candles (and they have to be the right ones) like Apple Pie make me feel good, in a Deja Vu kinda way.

Hi LionHeart, I'm glad with such a hard childhood that Christmas was still a joyous time in your memories. That thought made me happy.

Yes, @hithere my childhood was full of both happy and tragic memories, however, I choose to focus on the happy times whenever I can. Thanks for being happy for me. :hug: The peppermint oil reminds me of when I was really young and I would eat ice cream with peppermint bits in it, with my grandmother, at Christmas time. I had some cantaloupe oil once that was a great pick me up as well.

@TruthSeeker I love the smell of fresh-baked apple pie, it reminds me of my mom and my sister. I have some green apple fragrance oil that I plan to use in unscented shampoo. Reminds me of an apple orchard. :)

My favorite for sleep is Sandalwood as it tends to lull me to sleep with happy thoughts and I noticed when I use it I seldom have a nightmare. I have about 20 different oils and I'm gonna experiment with them a bit.

Yes, @hithere my childhood was full of both happy and tragic memories, however, I choose to focus on the happy times whenever I can. Thanks for being happy for me. :hug: The peppermint oil reminds me of when I was really young and I would eat ice cream with peppermint bits in it, with my grandmother, at Christmas time. I had some cantaloupe oil once that was a great pick me up as well.

@TruthSeeker I love the smell of fresh-baked apple pie, it reminds me of my mom and my sister. I have some green apple fragrance oil that I plan to use in unscented shampoo. Reminds me of an apple orchard. :)

My favorite for sleep is Sandalwood as it tends to lull me to sleep with happy thoughts and I noticed when I use it I seldom have a nightmare. I have about 20 different oils and I'm gonna experiment with them a bit.

Smells can be a powerful thing!

You know, lavender has never been my favorite smell....don't know why, but might give it another a try for inducing sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back