• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

My undiagnosed PTSD has recently been giving my separation anxiety

JAC1507

New Here
I'm currently experiencing a lot of stress after having lost my job that has been further exacerbated by not having been able to find a job a few months later. This has triggered a lot of memories of when I was younger and experienced a bout of separation anxiety after my mom got sick and was away for 1-2 weeks. I currently find myself experiencing the same feelings regarding my girlfriend and our cats, I get really worked up when I don't see them nearby and if I can't hug them or hold them. What are ways to deal with this as the uncertainty of the future really has my nerves on end.

I'm currently experiencing a lot of stress after having lost my job that has been further exacerbated by not having been able to find a job a few months later. This has triggered a lot of memories of when I was younger and experienced a bout of separation anxiety after my mom got sick and was away for 1-2 weeks. I currently find myself experiencing the same feelings regarding my girlfriend and our cats, I get really worked up when I don't see them nearby and if I can't hug them or hold them. What are ways to deal with this as the uncertainty of the future really has my nerves on end.
@JAC1507, I'm sorry to hear that you're going through a difficult time. The stress of losing a job and the uncertainty that comes with it can be overwhelming, especially when it triggers past memories of separation anxiety. It's understandable that you feel worked up when you can't be near your loved ones or pets.

There are a few ways that you can cope with these emotions. Firstly, try practicing deep breathing exercises, which can help to calm your nervous system and regulate your emotions. Take slow deep breaths in through your nose and out through your mouth, counting to 4 on each inhale and each exhale.

Another helpful technique is to ground yourself in the present moment by using your five senses. Look around and name five things you can see, four things you can touch, three things you can hear, two things you can smell, and one thing you can taste.

It may also be helpful to engage in activities that you find relaxing, such as taking a warm bath, reading a book, going for a walk, or trying out a new hobby.

Lastly, it's crucial to reach out to your loved ones for support. Talk to your girlfriend and let her know how you're feeling. You can also seek help from a mental health professional or a community support group for additional coping strategies and emotional support.

Please take care of yourself and remember to reach out again if you need further support.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back