• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Other My water pill causes Loss of Appetite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Changing4Best

MyPTSD Pro
So there is virtually nothing I feel like eating. I like lemonade, I'll force down pudding and or milk, but nothing much else seems to appeal to me. Furthermore, I hate cooking, so if I can force down a meal, it usually ends up being a frozen pre-prepared one. (Commercial, not cooked at home).

I've been feeling tired, of course. Memory loss is a problem, as are aches and pains that I did not used to have. I just bought a blender, thinking that maybe I can make some smoothies. However, I have not even taken it out of the box yet, and I bought it last week!

I'm not even losing weight! (And I should be).

Have any of you experienced this kind of thing before, due to medications or some other issue? What have you done to solve it??

The simplest trick is to eat because it’s time (rather because you’re hungry).

It’s the first line of defense against loss of appetite / disordered eating due to medication, illness, or injury.

Yes, it does turn it into a chore (like checking your blood sugar, if you’re diabetic isn’t something most people look forward to, but it’s necessary). It does mean learning new habits, because you can’t depend on something sounding good, or feeling good, to inspire your eating... it often means eating when you don’t want to, and actively dislike doing it... and requires preplanning (buying frozen food & prepared foods like cereal and yogurt, even buying alarms & clocks if you don’t have them on hand at all times) so when your alarm goes off? You can get it over with as quickly as possible (if you don’t want to eat, as opposed to simply not being hungry).

DO use an alarm, especially in early days.

Sometimes, you can train a hunger response (belly-clock ;)) simply by eating at the same times every day, day in and day out. But often, it’s simply a new way of living... eating because it’s time to, not because you want to eat.

The simplest trick is to eat because it’s time (rather because you’re hungry).

It’s the first line of defense against loss of appetite / disordered eating due to medication, illness, or injury.

Yes, it does turn it into a chore (like checking your blood sugar, if you’re diabetic isn’t something most people look forward to, but it’s necessary). It does mean learning new habits, because you can’t depend on something sounding good, or feeling good, to inspire your eating... it often means eating when you don’t want to, and actively dislike doing it... and requires preplanning (buying frozen food & prepared foods like cereal and yogurt, even buying alarms & clocks if you don’t have them on hand at all times) so when your alarm goes off? You can get it over with as quickly as possible (if you don’t want to eat, as opposed to simply not being hungry).

DO use an alarm, especially in early days.

Sometimes, you can train a hunger response (belly-clock ;)) simply by eating at the same times every day, day in and day out. But often, it’s simply a new way of living... eating because it’s time to, not because you want to eat.
I do have an alarm clock, thanks for the idea.

I'm also on a low sodium diet, which I guess I failed to mention. Low sodium food tastes awful! LOL... so I tend to want to eat sweet stuff, since it rarely contains much sodium, but tastes great! I guess I need to get some stuff for making smoothies. A banana can sweeten almost anything, and then adding other nutritious stuff, if I can find it to buy it, (small town here) sounds like a good idea.

Anyone have any smoothies recipes? Or recipes for healthy low sodium stuff that tastes great?

PS. I ate some supper: a tomato, cucumber and some cherries. Then, once I had my appetite a little warmed up, I had some plain yogurt with 100% pure maple syrup. I hope that will hold me till tomorrow.

Or recipes for healthy low sodium stuff that tastes great?
I have a zillion and 1 low sodium recipes, but they all have the same general theme - use super flavourful ingredients to oomph it up.

You very nearly made an Israeli salad above... if you’d added the plain yogurt to the tomato & cucumber aaaaaand a dash of apple cider vinegar? You’d have it. One better is also adding fresh mint and a very citrusy bitter red seasoning called sumac (not poisonous sumac!) Soooooo much flavour in tomato/cuke/mint/yogurt+cider vinegar (or buttermilk). You can also add torn up chunks of bread to soak up the juice, or bread and chickpeas if you want to up the protein. Zero salt.

Flavourful Pastes
Pesto (and other strong herb pastes) are a great example. Whether basil pesto, or red pepper pesto, a swipe of that across a sandwich or dollup into pasta or on toast? Big flavour. :D Harissa paste -if you like a little heat- is looooovely on corn on the cob (or frozen corn), or in place of red pepper pesto on a sandwich. A pearl of wasabi in mayonnaise. I make my own pastes (because I can’t eat dairy, and a lot of Pestos etc. use cheese) but most of these things can be found premade in jars or tubes for a dollar or two, and keep until a week past domesday.

Strong Cheese
Pecorino Romano is a hard cheese similar to Parmesan, but it’s SUPER salty tasting... but only has 115mg of sodium (5% DV) per 5g/2 tsp, and quite frankly, a pinch scattered over the top of something you want salty tasting? Soup, sandwich, pasta, etc.? Is going to be maaaaaybe a gram. Eat This Much, your personal diet assistant Rogue River Creamery, meanwhile, makes the only Bleu cheese I like (tastes like bacon!!! :woot:) and only has 250mg of sodium per ounce (29g) 2 tsp crumbled is about 5-10g, so, again we’re talking minuscule amounts of far less than 5% DV. Eat This Much, your personal diet assistant

Herbs etc. with WOW factor
Basil, cilantro, sorrel (lemony), arugula/rocket (peppery bite without being spicy), lemon (including lemon-pepper!!!), lime... throw a handful or splash of any of these into a salad, onto a sandwich, into a soup or pasta, etc? Happy happy.

Sauces
Salsas, sofritos, vinegars, vinegarettes, chimichurri, red wine, etc... some commercial ones may have salt added, but the flavour comes from the not-salt items.

I use chimichurri on red meat & white fish... it’s 1 bunch of parsley (leaves only), 1 bunch of mint, half a bunch of cilantro (or a quarter bunch, leaves and stems, cilantro stems have awesome flavour, unlike parsley whose stems are gross), 1/4 cup of olive oil, 1/2 cup red wine vinegar, & about 1 tsp cracked pepper. Just stuff it all in a blender and whirl. I pour it into a mason jar, top with about a cm of olive oil, and it keeps for a few weeks in the fridge. >>> But a far more simple awesome flavour maker is equal parts oil & vinegar & some cracked pepper. Just like subway puts on sandwiches. Red wine vinegar, raspberry vinegar, balsamic vinegar, sherry vinegar (my fav for salads)... there are a bazillion kinda of vinegar out there, and a splash here and there is all kinds of “Oh! That’s nice!”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back