1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Near-drowning

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by whiteraven, Jun 21, 2018.

1. whiteraven

whiteraven Well-Known Member

Ok, maybe not. But it was very traumatic for me, and I'm not sure what to do with it.

When I was 5, I took swimming lessons at the Y. The instructor, I think in an effort to get me used to holding my breath under water, pushed me under and held me there. I was sure I was going to die.

I remember seeing my mom in the observation room, watching. And I remember telling the instructor and my mom that I was NEVER going to do that again.

And I didn't. Water terrifies me.

Ronin and EveHarrington like this.
  2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. MyWillow

MyWillow Well-Known Member

I came close to drowning twice as a young child. As in...no one noticed I was in a pool the first time and I’m really not sure what happened in the ocean the second time. But my father took the time to take a photo of me crying my eyes out holding a tattered rope.

What strikes me now is that I was never given swimming lessons after that - although it was the norm for my peers - and I grew up terrified of putting my head under water. Could not dive into water and was filled with shame when it came to school swimming carnivals. Visits to the beach - especially when the waves were crashing - made me so anxious. My father telling me not to be stupid probably didn’t help. It was truly horrible.

In my 30s I forced myself to start swimming in a pool after I injured my back. I used kick boards and dipped my head in the water as I gained confidence. I even took private lessons. So gradual exposure and desensitization really. I always thought I was a crap swimmer but apparently not. Anyway the long and the short of it is I’m ok with swimming but it does take a lot of conscious effort to get in the right head space. I think that’s where my ability to compartmentalise comes in. I do the same for public speaking and other things that used to make me terribly anxious.

whiteraven likes this.
  4. Freida

Freida Been There, Done That, Lived to Tell the Story Premium Member

That is awful! I can't believe any one would think that's an ok thing to do to a child. I don't blame you at all for being afraid of water....

whiteraven and Ronin like this.