• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Need a quiet place for July 4, 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Throwaway

New Here
I’m looking for a quiet place around SW Tennessee for the 4th of July weekend in 2022. Is there a town or campsite that doesn’t have many fireworks?

Canada. Mexico. Parts of the Caribbean, although sound carries over water so you really don’t want to be on the water near American allied islands, nor on a British/Spanish/etc, island neighboring an American one.

Less close to home… IME, pretty much everywhere but Kosovo; as that country tends to throw parties during American holidays (and hold days of mourning during tragedies), out of respect/friendship. Only place I’ve ever been in my life where shouting “I’m an American” during a riot or emergency will enlist aid, instead of painting a target on your back.

Closer to home? There are parts of Appalachia which really don’t recognize the US, but they tend to divide fairly evenly along “Any excuse to set off explosives” & “let’s have a moment of silence in protest” & fierce pride in the origins of the nation, even if they’re disinclined towards the present. I’m not familiar enough with the region to point you in the right way… as even the places I know that are FAWK YOU, could be up a valley/holler that the sound carries crystal clear from the next over, that’s all about 6-30days of boom boom.

Last edited:
Canada. Mexico. Parts of the Caribbean, although sound carries over water so you really don’t want to be on the water near American allied islands, nor on a British/Spanish/etc, island neighboring an American one.

Less close to home… IME, pretty much everywhere but Kosovo; as that country tends to throw parties during American holidays (and hold days of mourning during tragedies), out of respect/friendship. Only place I’ve ever been in my life where shouting “I’m an American” during a riot or emergency will enlist aid, instead of painting a target on your back.

Closer to home? There are parts of Appalachia which really don’t recognize the US, but they tend to divide fairly evenly along “Any excuse to set off explosives” & “let’s have a moment of silence in protest” & fierce pride in the origins of the nation, even if they’re disinclined towards the present. I’m not familiar enough with the region to point you in the right way… as even the places I know that are FAWK YOU, could be up a valley/holler that the sound carries crystal clear from the next over, that’s all about 6-30days of boom boom.
Ah, I understand now. I read it as “leave permanently”. It makes much more sense now. I’m probably going to hit the Ozarks, but Appalachia is also a great idea.

Just don't book to be here July 1st (Canada Day)
Good call.

Does it have to be a campground? We rented a beautiful cabin through Airbnb. It was cheaper than a hotel and in the middle of the National Forrest.

I love the State Parks for camping. They are usually situated in the most beautiful areas. We camped in Georgia at the Amicalola Falls State Park and would love to go back again.

I haven't camped in Tennessee. Yet! But I would start with their State or national parks.

Does it have to be a campground? We rented a beautiful cabin through Airbnb. It was cheaper than a hotel and in the middle of the National Forrest.

I love the State Parks for camping. They are usually situated in the most beautiful areas. We camped in Georgia at the Amicalola Falls State Park and would love to go back again.

I haven't camped in Tennessee. Yet! But I would start with their State or national parks.
No, it doesn’t. That’s also a good idea!! Thank you.

Is there a chance you could work with a therapist so that you could get rid of this as a trigger? Not by flooding you (which would be: hunt down events with fireworks straight away and go to them all, gritting your teeth and trying to just suck it up), but through a gradual, controlled exposure that you could manage?

Is there a chance you could work with a therapist so that you could get rid of this as a trigger? Not by flooding you (which would be: hunt down events with fireworks straight away and go to them all, gritting your teeth and trying to just suck it up), but through a gradual, controlled exposure that you could manage?
Yes. We are starting EMDR therapy soon. We were going to start last week, but I was mid-breakdown, and the therapist decided that wasn’t the day to begin.

I have great hopes for that, but I’m looking for additional ways to help. Thank you for the suggestion!

My mistake. It was through *Vrbo*. We may rent it again because it was so close to the Shenandoah River and Skyline drive. Front Royal, Virginia. Couldn't be more peaceful.
IMG_20210603_161519500.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back