• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Neuropsych Testing- Flashback Implications

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweet_E

Confident
I need to get a neuropsych eval done to determine eligibility for services with the office of Vocational Rehabilitation. And the outcome could determine what types of services I receive or

What should I expect? How accurate are these tests?

I’m concerned because I feel like my functioning varies wildly depending on whether or not I’m having a flashback. It feels like a catch 22. If I’m having a bad day, maybe they’ll see I have a problem but maybe my skills and potential when I’m not triggered won’t be apparent. But if I’m having a good day, will they not realize the extent to which I need help?

Are the results going to depend on how I answer questions? I feel like that could vary depending on the day. With other evaluations they’ll ask me a blanket question but not specify the context. I feel like I can give two opposite answers, one for when I am in a flashback and one for when I am not.

Does anyone have insight on the reliability of these tests and anything I should do to ensure things go smoothly?

I need to get a neuropsych eval done to determine eligibility for services with the office of Vocational Rehabilitation. And the outcome could determine what types of services I receive or

What should I expect? How accurate are these tests?

I’m concerned because I feel like my functioning varies wildly depending on whether or not I’m having a flashback. It feels like a catch 22. If I’m having a bad day, maybe they’ll see I have a problem but maybe my skills and potential when I’m not triggered won’t be apparent. But if I’m having a good day, will they not realize the extent to which I need help?

Are the results going to depend on how I answer questions? I feel like that could vary depending on the day. With other evaluations they’ll ask me a blanket question but not specify the context. I feel like I can give two opposite answers, one for when I am in a flashback and one for when I am not.

Does anyone have insight on the reliability of these tests and anything I should do to ensure things go smoothly?
Yeah, I've had neuropsych testing a couple of times in my life and I have one coming up in a couple months for a head injury and memory. I go in with the intent to do well on the tests because I want an accurate rating. For grounding, take peppermint candy and a drink, and you can always ask for a bathroom break or two if you need one.

I've had to do 3 of these...ugh.
What I've learned is there really is no "wrong" answer because they are looking at the totality of the test answers. There is an expectation that you may get lost in the conversation, forget words, answer fine one moment and then totally forget everything the next. They also expect that as you get tired it will get harder to stay on track because (mine at least) lasted about 2 hours. . If you tell them you are prone to flashbacks they should be able to work around that.

There were only a couple basic questions about what caused my ptsd and a brief rundown for family history but not therapy kind of questions so that shouldn't be too stressful

I've had to do 3 of these...ugh.
What I've learned is there really is no "wrong" answer because they are looking at the totality of the test answers. There is an expectation that you may get lost in the conversation, forget words, answer fine one moment and then totally forget everything the next. They also expect that as you get tired it will get harder to stay on track because (mine at least) lasted about 2 hours. . If you tell them you are prone to flashbacks they should be able to work around that.

There were only a couple basic questions about what caused my ptsd and a brief rundown for family history but not therapy kind of questions so that shouldn't be too stressful
I’m not worried about it being stressful. I’m worried about it not being fair and accurate. If they only ask non-triggering questions, how will they know how I perform during a flashback? The whole purpose of this appointment is to see if I qualify for services. I have good memory and skills when things are good. But if I have a supervisor who has triggering traits, it’s hard to function. I’m afraid they’ll say, we don’t think you have PTSD, since that diagnosis is controversial for me since it’s from childhood abuse and neglect that is more psychological than physical. Every time I see a new clinician there’s a 50/50 shot they will think I just have generalized anxiety disorder.

So, if you get triggered, you explain that to her in the moment.......use the word flashback..and functional level is variable, in your initial conversation about why you are there. They usually ask if you know why you were referred. That would be my shoe in to explain that I had been diagnosed with PTSD, get triggered easily, (if you dissociate, tell them that....so that if she sees you zoning out, she can help you ground).

So, if you get triggered, you explain that to her in the moment.......use the word flashback..and functional level is variable, in your initial conversation about why you are there. They usually ask if you know why you were referred. That would be my shoe in to explain that I had been diagnosed with PTSD, get triggered easily, (if you dissociate, tell them that....so that if she sees you zoning out, she can help you ground).
Yeah, I guess me getting a flashback would be a positive. My biggest fear is that they catch me on a good day and say I don’t have a problem and therefore I won’t get the help I need.

It was explained to me like this: If they know you have ptsd and that is why you are looking for services they will build the questions around that idea. They don't do the same test on each person. They take the bigger picture and design the questioning to rate how the illness affects the persons ability to function. So ya, they may very well add things that will get you agitated to see how you do with mental tests in that state. I doubt they will do anything to throw you into a flashback, but they may create questions that give you a chance to show where/when you start to slip in your memory/skills/whatnot. And if they are any good at their job you coming in on a good day will show the same results as you coming in on a bad one.

It's ok to ask them before it starts and to tell them about your concerns. All three of the docs that did mine were really helpful about answering questions both before and along the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back