• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Never assume, letting go of assumptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

IamFree

Not Active
Its been a real rocky section of the road this week a hard learning curve. I made friends with a colleague in work based on an assumption but in the end it turned out was quite an immature person who tried to lie to me when we had a conflict this week and was trying to get in to my pants even though I had made it clear I was not available in that way. Ultimately I have decided to take responsibility as I was the one who put this person on a pedestal and then pushed them of it when they did not turn out to be what I assumed. I have learned my life is ruled by assumptions I think its a control thing..a bit like if everything is how I assume i would like it to be I am some how in control of everything. I think letting go of assumptions is going to be an on going process

IME assumptions though ARE needed, just like judgment is needed, to figure out a nature and value of a situation (and interactions, and how to make it through them with most gain and least damage).

So I am not sure letting go is a goal as much as modifying assumptions to be more balanced, healthier, leading to less toxic interactions for you (and often that is simply out of own control, because not everyone is who we would like them to be, nor compatible.) Still keep the assumptions, but also the openness to the possibility things are different?

Perhaps that is less to do with assumptions, as it is a pedestal. Life and humans are so fluid, trust being earned over and over.

The only assumption I can think of, is you will come to know someone through their actions; you will decide on those actions; you will respond accordingly. And you will always be aware that the other person and yourself could choose to act differently, or continue to build trust. And get to know someone's true self, and nature. And they your's.

It's really ok to update your thoughts as you get to know someone better. :hug:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back