• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Sufferer New Life - Managing PTSD & Depression After Childhood Abuse & Neglect

Status
Not open for further replies.

newlife

New Here
Hi Everyone I am new to this website and I am looking for support for the years of abuse and neglect I suffered as a child. I struggle to focus and stay motivated to function. I have good days and bad days. What are some of the ways you have learned to manage PTSD and the depression it brings?

Welcome @newlife! There are many threads about depression and of course many many about PTSD and all the other things we deal with.

Glad you are here. Sorry for what brought you to look for us, but people here will understand and support you.

Hi Everyone I am new to this website and I am looking for support for the years of abuse and neglect I suffered as a child. I struggle to focus and stay motivated to function. I have good days and bad days. What are some of the ways you have learned to manage PTSD and the depression it brings?
the first thing we need to understand is that we all have good days bad days so you are not alone. I can identify with your pain but the best revenge is to get better. If your abuser;s are no more or can no longer harm you then don't allow them to continue to control the mind if your body has healed . Share your feelings when you are ready to do so and release all that which troubles you and taste the freedom of letting go of the past

the first thing we need to understand is that we all have good days bad days so you are not alone. I can identify with your pain but the best revenge is to get better. If your abuser;s are no more or can no longer harm you then don't allow them to continue to control the mind if your body has healed . Share your feelings when you are ready to do so and release all that which troubles you and taste the freedom of letting go of the past
will check in with you tomorrow

1) I got into a living profession ie: live-in caregiver because being yelled snd screamed at to sell more or get fired added to my stress
2) started keeping an online diary nexuses suffer from c-ptsd and often have amnesia. So being able to access my thoughts from 6 months ago helps me see my progress as well as managing losing fiends. In the past I would have “forgotten” the Arguement or betrayal: now I can look it up via the search engine. I use “day one”.
3) I concentrate on “what is in my mind snd in my body” and being a “live in caregiver” is a quiet environment where I can do just that.
4) the obvious: plenty of sleep (if you have I insomnia make sure you get into bed and rest your body), eat as healthy as possible, self-care: brush teeth, shower, clean clothes, etc.
5) books/tv/other media:

i) miss America by day” by Marilyn van derbur! This was shocking because she is in high school and her other 3 sisters have moved out snd go to college and she states it that her mom (an alcoholic KNeW her dad was molesting her!)

ii) “Jane Rowan” (“a River of forgetting: a memoir of healing from sexual abuse”) again states that she Remebered her mom telling her she fell and that’s why her “girl part beteeen her legs hurts”. She also rmebeeed her mom telling her dad that she won’t remember the abuse not to worry. She then explains what a monster he was in terms of one day she is walking hime from school snd sees a dog doing Soemthjng cute; her dad insists it is something vulgar and won’t stop saying that the dog was in heat! His employee tries to tell him to shut up but he won’t. I mention this becaue this is what my grandfather was like always dying rude mean things that ruined my happy mood! It’s “unnecessarily flowery” but I thought she made some excellent points.

iii) watch dr Phil (“Amanda’s secret: forbidden love s14 e102). I mention this because I realized that both her brother snd mother KNew! They just denied it while on tv! It showed me that incest is indeed a “family affair”. As a child I would tell my moms youngest brother snd her mother what was hapmeing snd both said: he’s just teasing you! It wouldn’t be until I was in my 50s that I would realize that they were like Amanda’s family, benefiting from allowing him to abuse me!

iv) Cyril wecht is a famous “criminologist” who states for a FaCt that John benet ramsey was strangled accidentally by her dad during a “sex game”; and yes her mom was in on it!! This book made me feel grateful to be alive! If you can stomach the pictures of that beautiful little girl of her dead I would encourage you to do so since it made me realize that maybe my grandmothers insistence to be there when he Molested me wasn’t such a bad idea!

- all of these books/media helped me see that I am NOT the one my one and I was able to see “patterns” of abusers behavior and it helped me come to terms with many internal issues.

one of my biggest issues was keeping the wrong people OUT of my life! 99.9% of all of my problems was a result of this!

welcome! I hope this help a bit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back