• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

New lifestyle reminds me of the past

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pauline

Confident
Hi so I don't really know how to put this but I am starting work after living in london and being at university and doing further education for five years or so. My trauma was at school and now i have moved back home and some of my new work routine is making me feel like I am back at school again like i used to take the taxi/ cab to school and i am taking the taxi/cab to work now again, i am back in my same town with not many friends and i am living with my parents like at school some of it is safety but others is just bringing my body back to the past and i want to enjoy my new routine in life and get used to it and be grateful for everything and settle into it how do you tell your body to stop living in the past and be happy where your living and where your at in life i miss london because it was completly different to my trauma days from school
anyways i hope this makes sense

kind regards
michelle

Have you done grounding work? That might be a helpful practice to get into to gently remind yourself through those difficult times that this is a new you, in a different place in your life, and that you’re safe now.

To counter that? Sometimes when you notice these feelings come up, maybe allow yourself to acknowledge them, that they’re valid and make perfect sense, and they’re just emotions and memories that will come and go. That’s more of a mindfulness technique. It can be helpful because if you don’t struggle with the emotions, and you can just sit with them (even though it’s uncomfortable) for a while, your brain will gradually learn that it’s okay to let these emotions go.

Emotions do often run their course if we can stop fighting with them. So, if it feels 9 out of 10 uncomfortable to sit with those emotions this week, you may find that next week it’s subsided to 8 out of 10 and so on. It’s when we get into that struggle in our mind of “No, I don’t want to think this, I don’t want to feel this” that emotions can really turn malignant, whereas if we can just acknowledge “Yeah, this feels pretty awful right now”, and give the emotion a bit of space, they gradually fade of their own accord.

Thank you for your help I think that's good advice for me sometimes I just have to let myself feel uncomfortable and not be scared of my own feelings and know that because of what I've been through it's just my rational brain trying to work things out gosh body flashbacks are hard

Thanks for replying back X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back