• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Sufferer New member, feeling really alone

Status
Not open for further replies.

T2L

Learning
Hello everyone,

I've been feeling really alone, especially this past week as we have just scratch the surface of the in therapy. I'm not sure I'm ready to share my story yet, but I have been reading many posts when I'm in a place I feel safe to do so. This website is tremendous, supportive, and shows that so many symptoms and thoughts I have don't make me crazy and that I'm not alone... They're "normal responses to abnormal situations," as one person put it. I plan to keep reading through posts and I hope to explain my story or ask question. The analogy my therapist and I use is that I'm like an onion. I just peeled off one layer recently, and i have many more go.

Without going into detail, I'm having to work through:
Growing up in an alcoholic household.
Various degrees of sexual abuse from childhood into adulthood from multiple people.
An abusive (and only) relationship
Figuring out my sexual and gender identity in a strict religious household.

Some of these I feel I've "gotten over," but in reality I've gotten really good at masking, avoidance, dissociation, etc. Unfortunately in therapy I'm realizing I'm not "over" these things and just how much they did, and still do, impact my life, thinking, and behaviors.

I'll leave my intro to that for now, but again, I appreciate this forum exists. Please pardon any typos...My phone keeps autocorrecting things improperly (go technology!).

Hi. Glad you found us. If you haven't already, check out the PTSD stress cup explanation. It's a very helpful piece of information. Best of luck on your journey!

Welcome. Glad you checked things out first to see what the atmosphere is here.... that sounds like some great self care. Sorry for the reasons you are here, but very happy you found us... looking forward to seeing you around when you feel more comfortable.. take your time... we aren't going anywhere....

Welcome to the forum @T2L ! I hope you receive as much benefit from the people here as I have. A great place to grow and get challenged to grow. Here we are both teachers and students.

Thank you everyone for the kind words and making me feel welcome! I do have one question....i don'te Seea way to edit my post. Is this possible and I'm just missing something? Any help ym would be appreciated!

You have to be a premium member to be able to edit... any more questions and you can start a Help Ticket shown at the top of the page. Hope this helps..

Reactions: T2L
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back