General New Supporter, looking for help

P

Pilots Wife

Can any of you recommend some tips for a recent supporter. My husband is a survivor of a plane crash and his PTSD has just kicked in. Conspiracy theories and paranoia to name a few. How did you get through this initial onset?

MnM

Confident
Top tip: make sure he gets professional help. Don't be the only one holding hope for his return.

Paranoia and conspiracy theories are, in my experience, next to impossible. If you can support him and be his bff through this, let someone else be the bad guy. Tread very carefully - oh, and get a therapist yourself as well. Please 🙏🏼

Portlander

New Here
Top tip: make sure he gets professional help. Don't be the only one holding hope for his return.

Paranoia and conspiracy theories are, in my experience, next to impossible. If you can support him and be his bff through this, let someone else be the bad guy. Tread very carefully - oh, and get a therapist yourself as well. Please 🙏🏼
Hey - new to forum. Immensely grateful to have found it.
Dealing with similar situation. Supporter here with husband who is dealing with PTSD after TBI in 2016 from car accident and recurring cancer and highly invasive and life changing / debilitating surgery and family (siblings) who abandoned him (us) in all of this.

MNM: when you say next to impossible are you talking about treatment or saying that paranoia / conspiracy theories / hypervigilance aren’t connected ?

**Connected to PTSD….

Last edited by a moderator:

Sweetpea76

@Portlander all the hypervig is part of PTSD. That’s an actual symptom.

I think what @MnM was saying is that in their experience, trying to manage a sufferer deep in conspiracy theory land isn’t a task that’s going to be productive. You’re not going to be able to “logic” them out of it.

We as supporters can’t fix or help with PTSD symptoms or treatments. That’s up to our sufferers. We can be supportive and empathetic, but they have to want the treatment and do the work alone.