• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

New Therapist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marlene

MyPTSD Pro
Well, I went to see a new therapist yesterday. This gentleman has worked with the VA (veterans admin.) for the last 28 years and most of his practice is with PTSD patients. When I told him my former therapist told me that my truama wasn't 'bad' enough for the PTSD diagnosis I received (hence former), his response was, 'Well, pppbbbttt *a raspberry* to that'. I laughed because I felt like this was someone I could talk to. He didn't say he could cure me (or else I would have been out of his office like a shot), but he did say he would help me find the skills to deal with the symptoms of PTSD and to deal with traumas to help lesson the symptoms. It was nice to talk to someone who understood!!

I did ask him if he could help with my concentration and short-term memory (which has been for sh*t lately). He said that's just part of the PTDS. DAMMIT MAN! I was hoping to get rid of those!! LOL :rolleyes:

oh marlene. having a therapist that can teach you these skills makes the difference between having a life and contemplating death! i so hope he works out for you!

go the new therapist

hi marlene i was seeing the same therapist for nearly nine months until my change . the first meting with new therapist he asked me what i wanted out of this my life back to some form of normal was my answer. i can cure you was his reply :rofl: well you can imagen how i felt was he the new wonder man why wasnt this man on all the tv shows and saving the system and us thousands of dollars. we change our opinions very quickly and settled into a very good doc v pat relationship. dont bullshit and i will not b/s you his attitude changed from !healing me! to helping me cope and deal with the sysptoms. not sure if he was testing the waters or not being honest doc or pat has to be. The change is working for me hope for you to as far as the concentration goes shit i wouldnt last fifteen minutes with out my note book with daily reminders and my pill nazi (my wife jods) some days are better than others im sure you know that. best of luck:thumbs-up

Good stuff marlene, and best of luck with the new therapist. Sounds promising already, which is all good for you, and much less a dick around for your symptoms.

As you work through your anxiety, you will find your concentration returning, and it will simply hit you, which will show you that your anxiety is lessening at the same time, ie. your anxiety is clouding your mind less. It takes months of hard hitting trauma therapy to see this, but if you do it, give it 110% the whole time, push yourself to your limits and sometimes beyond, you will learn to control PTSD and heal your past trauma.

Thanks for the support all! When I left his office, he gave me two things: a card with his pager number on it in case I needed to talk (I don't know about anywhere else in the world, but here in the states-doctors just don't do that anymore!), and a CD he had made and burned for his patients for helping to teach progressive muscle relaxation (tensing then relaxing a specific group of muscles). That evening I decided to try the CD. It must be good stuff because half way through I fell asleep! LOL I'm going to give it another shot this afternoon in a little less comfortable position than laying down.

Nugget-I thought I was the only one who toted around a notebook in order to keep my life going. LOL My desk at work is covered with notes. On my computer, on the desk, on files. If there isn't a note telling me what to do with something, it takes me a long time to remember why it's on my desk. *sigh* I used to be the one that knew where just about everything in the office was and why it was put there. Not no more!!!

I work with an Aussie transplant (he married an American girl). He knows my situation and has been very kind and supportive to me. When he sees me tearing through my office looking for something, he calls me Marbles. As in 'she's lost her'. It's nice to be able to laugh about this damn thing with people. It really helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back