• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Not breathing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Entheo

Learning
I keep getting these otherworldly nightmare things just as I'm falling asleep and I notice each time that I stop breathing before it happens. These sleep disturbances are connected to my breath.

Last night I didn't sleep until 5 in the morning because this kept happening. When I fell asleep, I noticed I couldn't breathe like there was a ball of ice in my chest.

I wonder if intensive breathwork can help heal this

What you’re describing could be tied/related to a number of things
- Hypnogogic Jerk
- Sleep Apnea
- Sleep Paralysis
- Asthma
- Pneumonia, Walking Pneumonia, &/or Pleurisy
- Panic Attack

&/or some combo of the above... or something I’m not thinking of at the moment / these are just off the top of my head.

Have you seen a doctor to rule out physiological causes, or had a sleep study, recently?

It's all connected. I have been going into a sleep paralysis type state occasionally and this hypnagogic jerk for me often comes with sleep paralysis. I used to experience sleep paralysis and hypnagogic jerks regularly 10 years ago. It's almost like a buildup of psychic tension that appears in the hypnagogic state. I can sense it before it happens.

I only slept 3 hours last night and today I was laying in a hammock and drifted off to sleep for about 2 hours and it was peaceful sleep. It happens most at night time when it's dark. If I fall asleep at 5AM when I know the lights coming soon, it's usually much milder. Maybe it's a manifestation of fear.

I notice when it calms down, it can change into sleep anxiety where I wake up regularly with this nervous feeling.

Assuming you've had a complete work-up, have you tried sleeping with a light or nightlight on? Before I got a nightlight, I left a lamp on in another, close-by room so I'd have a little bit of light. The nightlight is also in another room that connects to my bedroom; it doesn't keep me from getting to sleep and provides a little bit of light so I don't feel afraid or anxious.

Second what whiteraven wrote.

I'm susceptible to hypnagogic hallucinations, which happen during/between the phase of falling asleep and the first REM cycle (while sleep paralysis usually happens during much later stages of sleep/night, when waking up from REM as opposed to going into REM) as well as night terrors (same phase of sleep/early nights). It definitely happens more when I'm sleeping in complete darkness.

I have multiple nightlights both in the bedroom and hall.

For me I also noticed it happens more when it's really warm in the bedroom.

Since you have trouble falling asleep - I also recommend some form of audiobook, music, white noise ... this is also something that tends to help with with my hallucinations/night terrors.

If you can, do get a sleep study just in case, though. While it doesn't sound like sleep apnea, better be safe than sorry. Could also be narcolepsy? Just good to rule those out :hug: I feel ya, really do. Those kind of things suck big time. I don't get the "can't breath" part, I jump right into FLIGHT! :wtf: And when I do have sleep paralysis, it's a "can't yell" problem, fortunately not a breathing problem (but equally terrifying/triggering)

(I also sleep MUCH better in the early dawn hours/morning when it starts getting light. I will wake up tons of times during the night, only to sleep 3 hrs straight after 5:30 or whenever it currently starts getting light outside -- and yes, absolutely a fear/hypervigilance thing for me)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back