• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

News Number of cases of child abuse in the u.s. in 2015, by type of maltreatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I am opposed to the government decided who can and cannot have children because I think it would eliminate loving but poorer parents while allowing richer and more educated but still abusive people through, I think parenting classes should be a mandatory part of prenatal care for all pregnant women.

Since there are 74.2 million children in the US, those numbers represent roughly 1% ...

Huge problem numbers wise, tiny problem percentage wise. Which is why blanket solutions rarely if ever pass.

Last edited:
@Friday - although it’s 1% of all American children in the space of 1 year. And it’s just substantiated cases.

Which means that 1% is just the tip of the iceberg. If 1% of children are victims of substantiated abuse each and every year, that’s a pretty massive problem.

Neglect is by far the most common form of neglect often as a result of poor parental mental health and/or substance misuse. It's also an element in most other forms of abuse so it's no surprise to me that that figure is highest. I'd say those figures are grossly conservative though as many more than 1% of children in most developed nations experience significant levels of abuse.

Which means that 1% is just the tip of the iceberg. If 1% of children are victims of substantiated abuse each and every year, that’s a pretty massive problem.

Right... But as opposed to say;

Abused/Neglected - 700,000, less than 1:100
Homelessness - 2.5 million children, apx 1:30
Hunger/starvation - 16.2 million children, apx 1:5

Healthcare has taken a massive leap, now that 43% of children are on public health FastStats so there are some good news in our 1st world what? stats.

(All of the above are also annual/yearly stats. So the same multiplicity applies.)

I'm not saying abuse and neglect are not monumental problems, in no small part because of how dang predictive they are... (Wanna lower your prison population in 20 years, lower your child abuse and neglect stats, now)... Just why in the face of all of the other monumental problems, very few states are like Vermont (not even Vermont is like Vermont anymore) in making it their number 1 priority and creating/using blanket solutions (all parents/all children required to participate), instead of focused and targeted solutions (there has to be a case opened on that specific child, for parents&children to be required to participate).

@Suzetig I would very much agree that ALL of the numbers for serious problems facing children are grossly underestimated. They're based off concrete data like open cases, and applications -or worse, awards- for aid, etc. and that's very much the tip of the ice berg. Drill down into these problems and the numbers get much bigger.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back