• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Death NZ had a mass shooting today

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn’t talking about gun control here when I was saying I liked how Jacinda Ardern acted. I wanted to say I liked how she showed compassion for the victims of the car attack.

However I also am happy to hear NZ is getting stricter gun laws. We have very strict gun laws (Germany) and often terrorist are caught while trying to buy illegal guns. That happened at least twenty or thirty times in the last years. We still do have terrorist attacks and also amok runs and gang related violence.... BUT the terrorists/gang members typically use knifes which mean they can kill at lot less victims. We also had terrorist attacks with cars, but they are protecting the places terrorist are most likely to attack with concrete blocks now so that it is safer.

I am very happy for our strict gun laws.

Hey @Never_falter2 I'm sorry I wasn't responding to your post directly when I posted in relation to gun law.

I do think that politians all across the political spectrum in our country can learn a lot from Jacinda Ardern when it comes to dealing with terror

^But I think apart from burying the dead and mourning, 'dealing with terror' means bringing on legislation to help protect citizens. That means gun laws too, so we are in agreement essentially. I think Ardern is handling the entire situation very well given that no politician wants to deal with emergencies like this ever.

Various NZ politicians have tried to bring up gun reform in the past but the motions were put down. Gun reform is always perilous though. It seems to alienate some sections of society meaning loss of popularity and votes. What politician wants that? Ardern is bringing it up and getting it done and should be thoroughly commended for doing so along with the rest of the NZ Parliament. She is acting promptly while the grief is still raw and that's savvy politicking.

I think every-day civil societies don't really need assault weapons. I was so surprised when I learnt that NZ still allowed gun owners to have them.

Even a farmer with the very worst vermin or feral population doesn't use assault weapon(s). I believe the legislation is targeting the magazine capacity of firearms in determining what will be illegal too. That has always been a sticking point with a lot of people. But hey that's what the politicians get paid the big bucks to do... nut this stuff all out.

She is also looking at the 'influences' that perpetrator's feed off to do such stupid & senseless acts and also the role social media has acted in relation to this crime. Also legitimate places to investigate imo.

I totally agree with you on gun laws. I‘ll give an example of what I meant our politicians do wrong. Well 1) they rarely talk to victims of terrorist attacks or show compassion, 2) victims of terrorist acts who survive with disabilities used to receive very little monetary support. I think this law s being changed now, 3) they have changed some things in our way of life to appease terrorists (and other violent groups)
For example: when ist comes to right wing extremist violence: the city of Chemnitz had a village fair, for 800 years the city of Chemnitz had a village fair, and for decades it had a very big one drawing 250.000 visitors per year. Last year there had been right wing extremist violence (not terrorism but people got punched and chased through the streets)... not at the fair but after the fair near where the fair took place as far as I know... and this year there won’t be a fair. Well, 250.000 persons who were not right wing extremist are punished for something the deeds of a small group.
When it comes to Muslim violence: smaller Christmas markets have been cancelled, also some smaller carnival processions... because those things might offend potential Muslim terrorist and the ones planning the procession/ the Christmas market were not able to pay for security measures.

I think that’s the very wrong reaction. Looking at the terrorists and wondering what might offend them. If the carnival procession (for example) is cancelled the terrorist will find something different that offends him.

The right way to act to may personal mind... telling the terrorist: See, I do not care why you did this. I do not care why this offends you and what a carnivals procession means to you. I am totally not interested to learn how you see the world. The state will pay for all security measure necessary to protect even the smallest carnival procession.

Because terrorist do it for the attention. For the attention and because they want people to discuss their motives... if we pay attention to them to much it will encourage other terrorists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back