• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Obsessive Thoughts

The end result is knowing the truth and knowing the truth is what brings me relief.

The thoughts are distressing but the comfort comes in knowing the truth.

The end result is knowing the truth and knowing the truth is what brings me relief.

The thoughts are distressing but the comfort comes in knowing the truth.
It's understandable that you find relief in knowing the truth, and it's essential to acknowledge that awareness can bring a sense of empowerment and control. However, it's also important to recognize that obsessive thoughts can be distressing and interfere with everyday life.

While knowing the truth can bring some comfort, it may be helpful to explore ways to manage the distressing thoughts so they do not interfere with your daily activities. There are a variety of evidence-based therapies and techniques that you can explore, such as cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT), exposure therapy, mindfulness-based therapy, and acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT).

Therapy can help you learn strategies to manage your thoughts and feelings effectively and help you learn to focus on the present moment instead of becoming fixated on obsessive thoughts. Engaging in self-care activities such as exercise, healthy eating, journaling, spending time in nature, and connecting with a support system can also be helpful.

Remember that seeking help is a sign of strength, and it's okay to ask for support when managing distressing thoughts and emotions.

It makes no sense to me that if you have obsessive thoughts and react in one way, it’s a legitimate disorder, but if you react in another way, you just get labeled with a personality disorder and everyone including mental health professionals want nothing to do with you.

It makes no sense to me that if you have obsessive thoughts and react in one way, it’s a legitimate disorder, but if you react in another way, you just get labeled with a personality disorder and everyone including mental health professionals want nothing to do with you.
I understand that you feel frustrated and confused about the diagnosis of mental health disorders, and the stigma that can sometimes surround them. It's important to remember that mental health conditions, including obsessive thoughts and personality disorders, are medical conditions and should be treated with the same level of care and attention as any physical health condition.

It's true that there can be a misunderstanding about personality disorders and that some may not receive the same level of empathy and support that others with mental health disorders might receive. However, it's essential to recognize that it is not the fault of the individual diagnosed with a personality disorder. Instead, it's a consequence of the lack of understanding surrounding these conditions.

It's important to seek out a mental health professional who is knowledgeable and understanding of all mental health conditions, including personality disorders, to ensure that you receive the highest quality care possible. A therapist who practices a person-centered approach can help establish a positive, supportive therapeutic relationship and personalize therapy to fit your specific needs.

Mental health recovery is possible with the right support, understanding, and treatment, regardless of the diagnosis. Seeking help when you need it takes courage, and it's crucial to recognize that you deserve to receive care and support.

Personality disorder treatments such as DBT do not in my experience help with obsessive thinking. Learning lists of coping skills that don’t get to the root of the matter is not “helpful”. I have done DBT and it was nothing more than a joke. It was designed to help people with a different set of struggles and to have it pushed on me is frustrating.

Personality disorder treatments such as DBT do not in my experience help with obsessive thinking. Learning lists of coping skills that don’t get to the root of the matter is not “helpful”. I have done DBT and it was nothing more than a joke. It was designed to help people with a different set of struggles and to have it pushed on me is frustrating.
I'm sorry to hear that you have not found DBT helpful in managing your obsessive thinking. It's essential to recognize that therapy is not a one-size-fits-all solution, and there may be different effective treatments for different individuals.

CBT which involves cognitive restructuring, may be more appropriate for treating obsessive thinking. CBT helps to identify and challenge negative thought patterns and beliefs while providing tools and strategies to replace them with more positive and adaptive thoughts.

EMDR therapy is another effective treatment for trauma-related obsessive thinking. EMDR therapy focuses on resolving past traumas that contribute to distressing thoughts or beliefs by reprocessing traumatic memories and reducing their emotional charge.

It's important to communicate your needs and concerns with your therapist to tailor the approach to fit your unique concerns. Don't be afraid to advocate for yourself and discuss alternative treatment options that you think may be more beneficial. Remember that therapy is a collaborative process, and finding the right fit for your needs may require some trial and error.

It's frustrating when mental health treatment doesn't live up to your expectations, but it's essential to continue seeking help. With the right therapist and treatment approach, you can learn to effectively manage your obsessive thoughts and live a fulfilling life.

At this point I feel like giving up. I don’t think that any therapist will be able to help me because my symptoms don’t fit neatly into a box. They all live and die by symptom lists and if you don’t fit, you don’t have a disorder, and you aren’t taken nearly as seriously.

At this point I feel like giving up. I don’t think that any therapist will be able to help me because my symptoms don’t fit neatly into a box. They all live and die by symptom lists and if you don’t fit, you don’t have a disorder, and you aren’t taken nearly as seriously.
It's understandable to feel frustrated and discouraged when seeking help for mental health concerns and not fitting neatly into a diagnostic category. However, it's important to remember that not every mental health condition is easily diagnosable, and not every individual will fit perfectly into a set of symptoms.

A skilled therapist will see you as a whole person, not just a collection of symptoms, and work with you to address your specific concerns and create an individualized treatment plan. This may involve exploring underlying issues that may not fit a specific diagnosis and tailoring treatment approaches to your needs.

It's essential to remain open and honest with your therapist about your symptoms, including those that may not fit neatly into a box. Doing so can help your therapist better understand your unique challenges and develop an appropriate treatment approach that takes all your symptoms and needs into account.

Finally, it's essential to practice self-compassion and patience as you navigate the process of seeking help for your mental health. It can take time to find a therapist who is a good fit and to see improvements in your symptoms. Remember that you are worthy of care, no matter how your symptoms present themselves. There is hope, and effective treatment is available.

At this point I’m convinced this will be yet another data point to prove that my thoughts are correct. The therapist will see that I don’t fit the “right” symptoms and won’t want to work with me.

At this point I’m convinced this will be yet another data point to prove that my thoughts are correct. The therapist will see that I don’t fit the “right” symptoms and won’t want to work with me.
It's understandable to feel concerned that a therapist may not want to work with you due to your unique symptoms or presentation. However, it's important to remember that a good therapist will work with you to address your unique concerns regardless of whether they fit neatly into a specific diagnostic category.

Therapists are trained to work with a diverse range of clients and understand that mental health challenges can present differently in different individuals. A skilled therapist will strive to create a non-judgmental and supportive environment in which you can feel heard and understood, no matter how your symptoms present themselves.

To find the right therapist, it's important to take the time to research and reach out to potential mental health professionals who specialize in treating the type of symptoms you are experiencing. You may want to look for therapists who have experience working with individuals with similar concerns, or who offer specific treatment modalities that have been shown to be effective for your unique challenges.

Remember that seeking out therapy is a courageous step towards healing and that there is hope for improvement, no matter how your symptoms present themselves. It may take some time and effort to find the right therapist for you, but with perseverance and patience, effective treatment is available.

I don’t think you understand how difficult people are treated by health professionals.

I have been kicked out the door a number of times because my obsessive thoughts DO NOT STOP and I am deemed to be a difficult patient. It’s happened enough to know that many therapists only want “easy” clients.

The thoughts simply do not stop. All I want is a treatment that works directly on managing the obsessive thoughts and not coping skills that help you after the fact.

I don’t think you understand how difficult people are treated by health professionals.

I have been kicked out the door a number of times because my obsessive thoughts DO NOT STOP and I am deemed to be a difficult patient. It’s happened enough to know that many therapists only want “easy” clients.

The thoughts simply do not stop. All I want is a treatment that works directly on managing the obsessive thoughts and not coping skills that help you after the fact.
I'm sorry to hear that you have had negative experiences with mental health professionals in the past. It's important to acknowledge that not all therapists are created equal, and it can take time and effort to find the right therapist who truly understands and believes in you.

With that being said, I would like to emphasize that there are many skilled therapists who are experienced in working with individuals with obsessive thoughts and providing effective treatment for this concern. A therapist can help you understand and manage your thought patterns in a healthy way through techniques like cognitive-behavioral therapy, mindfulness, exposure therapy, or other evidence-based approaches.

It's important to communicate your needs and expectations to your therapist to ensure that they understand your concerns and can tailor treatment accordingly. This may involve letting them know that you are looking for a direct approach to managing your obsessive thoughts, rather than just coping skills for after the fact.

Remember that it's okay to advocate for yourself and your mental health needs. If you ever feel like a therapist is not a good fit or is not meeting your needs, it is important to consider exploring other options and to communicate your concerns to the therapist. Effective treatment is available, and there are many skilled professionals who can help you manage your symptoms and improve your quality of life.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back