• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Odd Question - Bad Acid Indigestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marlene

MyPTSD Pro
This is weird, but does anyone else out there get really bad acid indigestion when their anxiety kicks up? For the last week, I've been chewing antacids tablets, drinking soda and eating a bland diet trying to get my stomach to calm down. Hell, just taking my meds is enough to churn my stomach. The extra pressure in my stomach (and up) doesn't help the anxiety, either. :wall:

I was just wondering.

I don't believe soda would be doing your stomach any favours, as it is a form to bloat oneself, thus cause indigestion and even bring on heart burn I believe.

hey marlene, yes anxiety affects my stomach too. i have ibs that flares up, lots of indigestion, but only with the anxiety, and esophageal spasms, caused by anxiety. the antacids might help, i eat them too, but they make me nauseous. the soda won't help. anthony's right , it is full of acid, so it adds to the problem. lots of water when you eat will help dilute the acid some, staying away from acidic foods and high fat foods(takes more acid to break it down) can help. prilosec helps, but not right away, and you have to take it every day, and it's expensive. ok, hope some of this is helpful.
cathy

Oh, marlene... if you haven't already read [DLMURL]http://www.ptsdforum.org/thread253.html[/DLMURL], you should, as it answers most of the issues that we suffer physically, caused by our mental dispositions.

Last edited:
Hi Marlene I know as soon as my husband has an upset or things are not going his way he has a gut ache the next day I can read him like a book if we argue over something the tummy starts playing up he has IBS as well.
Jen

Yep, and IBS is part and parcel of PTSD in most cases. IBS is a secondary effect, symptom if you like, of PTSD itself. PTSD is anxiety, anxiety is stress, IBS is created from stress.

Thanks for the replies, y'all. I was wondering if this might be from anxiety (rough week last week) or maybe heriditary. I spent a lot of my childhood mixing my mom a bicarbonate of soda and water but her upset stomach.

BTW-the reason for the soda is, not to be too indelicate LOL, is to belch the gas up to relieve some of the pressure.

I did go to the store and got some liquid antacid and that helped too. I'll also try the extra water route today and see if that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back