• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Childhood OK, then not OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunshin

New Here
New, not used to forums, would normally avoid but have questions I want a real person to answer!

Is it a normal experience of PTSD to have times of being OK and few mild issues but functioning fairly well and Then being put in a situation that reminds you of your past experience, having big problems with it nightmares, flashbacks, emotions the lot. Leave situation... OK after chill out time. Normal life. Go back? Symptoms return the day before.

I can't avoid said situation. Just wanting to know if it's normal to have massive problems in one situation but not carry them into other parts of life.

Thank you so much for your answer! I've had a diagnosis for a very long time but learnt to avoid it quite successfully - until recently...

I don't actually know very much except I have it. I refused all help when I got the diagnosis years ago.

Yep.
Sounds like you are quite skilled in putting the PTSD away and getting on living your life. I did that for many many years. Worked really well. Until for me it started to crumble, and now having to face it all, as that coping strategy passed it's expiration date.

Do you think therapy might help?

Trauma sufferers are very good at hiding things. That said, if those thoughts and feelings aren't dealt with then they ALWAYS creep up on us and bite us in the arse. Welcome to the site!😊

Trauma sufferers are very good at hiding things. That said, if those thoughts and feelings aren't dealt with then they ALWAYS creep up on us and bite us in the arse. Welcome to the site!😊
This is why I'm here. I've spent a couple of hours looking through things on here and it makes so much sense! I had no idea. I think I'm going to need this site to educate me for a bit.
Yep.
Sounds like you are quite skilled in putting the PTSD away and getting on living your life. I did that for many many years. Worked really well. Until for me it started to crumble, and now having to face it all, as that coping strategy passed it's expiration date.

Do you think therapy might help?
At the time, it would have caused too much pain. I was not at all ready to talk about anything. Different story now, many years have passed. I'm looking into it.

Yes, sounds pretty familiar to me! It feels like a gravitational pull on me at times when it comes on. Sometimes I can recognize it quicker than other times, but staying "grounded" with someone who knows me well and knows all of my past and life situations is SUPER helpful. Do you have anyone you can confide in or who knows you best to help you through these times? Is there a way to attempt to minimize the trigger times? For me, it was situations with my dad. I moved very far away and had limited contact for many years until being able to have better coping skills and maturity to stand up to him and become more healthy mentally to face it head on. Another huge help for me was to choose forgiveness. I forgave, not because the people deserved it, but because it was healthy for me to do so, for me. I pray you find the answers you are looking for as well as peace. You are not alone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back