• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

On A Rocky Road Thanks For Being Here

• Thread starter Deleted member 28740
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 28740

Came to this site at what I hope is the near bottom of the pit. Phone and internet shutoff 2 days ago. Borrowing from friends. Living in the car soon too. But from that pit I might find the perfect piece of marble to sculpt. New Year.

Sculpting, yes, I hope you find a creative space, and that you find what you want and need to get through these times. Keep safe, stay connected, and remember our 'forum care' for you. May your New Year be warm, and peaceful.

Sucks, been there. :hug:

Things you may or may not know about being homeless with a car:
*Walmart is somewhere you can park over night and use the bathrooms to freshen up & get water.

*Public Library has of course computers to keep in touch.

*Some larger book stores like Boarders allow charging/powering up- if you have a lap top or other devices (phones) as you sit in their store. You can use their internet access.

*Wash up quickly in any fast food restaurant...use the hand dryer to assist with your hair and the wash cloth you might keep with you. (Handicap stalls allow quick changes).

*Go to unemployment locations to use their computer system for job search (if needed) and to stay warm.

*Go to ss office and get a new ss back-up card (normally free), the lines are so long you can probably get a nap in and be warm as well.

These links will allow you to place in the city where you are and find homeless shelters:

http://www.homelessshelterdirectory.org/washington.html
www.womenshelters.org/sta/washington

This one looks like a solid link with soup kitchens and job help:
Link Removed

This one is a long shot but IF you were an artist maybe you could contact:
http://www.artistshelpingchildren.org/shelters.html

Never know where it could lead and there seems to be a few locations in your state.:hug:

Hunger...Panera Bread...gives food to communities...find one if possible and where they give food.
Link Removed

Other options if have a little cash:
1)Luxury living;) - If you have funds consider a storage area where many people hide cots and their selves & valuables + car during transitions.

2) Back-up- Keep your documentation and double set if possible of ss card + another form in a safety deposit box or at a trusty friend's house (encase it is permanently borrowed during the exposure period).

3) This may seem odd but then so am I, ok? Consider anything you may have wanted to talk about and heal from....find a 12 Step Program Location for that concern : they normally have lots of face to face meetings, sometimes in churches with coffee, donuts and safety. Donate a very small amount and rest & heal.

You may find help or leads from the members or a room at some point to rent. But most of all...you will be healing, warm and take the edge off of hunger. Networking ...

:hug: Don't give up.

Last edited:
@Changeling Tip: make sure the dog is licensed asap (if not already done). People who may wish to break in your car (or think they are well meaning) may report the animal to animal control. So it is essential that you have a back up addy and a understanding with someone in advance.

I am not trying to worry you unnecessarily-it is in the Art of War that serious steps are taken in advance to insure survival for you and your fur-friend. Luckily it is in 'winter' so a lot of the power play in that area should be sub-defused. However if the sheriff/officer/animal control inquire, you are ready and can dodge that bullet.

:hug: I am so sorry that you are experiencing this...but you will be tougher when it is done in ways you didn't even know existed and will some day be able to pass forward information. Stand tall.

**I did not know you had a dog...so this info will serve better for the two of you-
Car living basics:
http://carliving.info/101.htm

Last edited:
@Recovery4Me

Used to a lot of two wheel camping, long trips. Yes, plan ahead. This one is different so gather resources and yours are priceless.

@Changeling ...consider that using the forum, opening threads during this journey with posted questions to have a few people research with you during this season for things that come up. You can offer a few cities in a surrounding area (as to not pin point the exact one you are in).

During this time of homelessness, the PTSD may kick in more (I know it did for me & others at least) and the thinking can become barbarically reactive. It is natural survival trait...I want you to remember that. We do not loose our humanity or dignity...it is the baseline of preservation.

Some of the people that I have known and taught in college went to college and acquired an education during their homeless periods. It was hard for them, very hard. However friends would allow the occasion shower (as state camp grounds are closed during certain months to keep their pipes from freezing ) and a place for dog licensing as well as their mail to arrive. The trade off for their friends was work that the students would do on those peoples homes, yards or house cleaning.

Consider talking to a college about a trade or ______. It allows a little stipend money for survival and a future. Often they will let your dog stay in your car (with windows cracked) as you park in the winter months. Colleges have rooms for rent posted on the boards, sometimes food pantries, a job placement official. You could use their library, computer room, bathrooms and aid.

Of all the places that I have seen that helped their own, the one thing I can attest to is that most smaller colleges care about their students. So once you past the hurdle of getting in...you are on your way. They also help with jobs and internships for placement once you reach a certain level.

Talk to admissions representative and a friend for back-up. The law does not say how long you must stay at where you reside during the weeks, months- as of yet. So it is a matter of interpretation, not breaking the laws. Where you can go to let your dog have a yard romp, the occasional shower and where your mail comes is a key for many things. Work on a home base...somehow.

Once this home base:tup: is secured, make sure not to wear out the welcome, work hard to give time or effort on what is needed to keep it solid (bartering). Then consider obtaining a license for an independent contractor from the city you have your dog license.

Look up how to in your state (as the info is usually offered on a gov web) and read about it and search in
www.nolo.com

This allows you to work odd jobs usually with out being arrested or fined for tax evasion by the police. You will however have to file a certain form at the end of the year so consult the web or legal adviser at some point. Normally if you sign up for a college, your accounting teacher or business teacher can assist for direction...as long as it is ethical and legal. ;)

If you are on a form of disability, then it can be a smoother transition as income may slowly trickle in and schools offer extra provision for some of them.

I do not know if any of this will assist but I do know considering college as odd as it may seem right now has saved many and given hope.

@Recovery4Me

I need help. Basic survival foremost. Other is how to deal with personal judgments on the site. It concerns me strongly. I asked clear and reasonable questions about posting. Then from @Solara accused of being paranoid. Then that I had jumped on her asking again about privacy and dissemination .
NOW:
(You have insufficient privileges to reply here.)
Page 2 of 2

Maybe this can help a little bit, to shed some light on your confusion @Changeling: But first, I kindly ask you, to please try to not take everything personally... Because, when you look at the title of your thread: "https://www.myptsd.com/threads/anyone-else-had-their-post-put-up-on-storify-by-anthony.49787/, you'll read the following: Thread Status: Not open for further replies. - This means nothing else, than that everyone has insufficient privileges to reply. And in the upper right side of that thread, you'll see a black padlock sign. Which means that your thread was closed by an admin.

Changeling, I see, that there are quite a few things that you struggle with, to understand. And I also see, that your statements, reactions or understanding of certain circumstances are often based on assumptions instead of facts. From experience, I'd like to tell you, that, if a statement or circumstances are not clear or frighten you, it will assist you way better, when simply asking for clarification, than making assumptions and react based on those...

By clearly (and kindly?) asking / expressing your fears, questions or whatever is bothering you that moment, you'll find more understanding and accommodation by the members of the forum. Because (in my opinion), the goal should be to come to a mutual understanding. I truly hope, this post was a bit of help to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back