• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Study Online Study Seeking People Who Have Experienced Stressful Life Event

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaylin Jones

New Here
Researchers at the University of Missouri-St. Louis are seeking individuals to complete a brief series of questionnaires online. At the end of the survey, all participants are welcome to enter into a drawing for a $25 Amazon gift card.

You are eligible to participate in the study if:

• You are aged 18 or older
  • You have experienced a stressful life event
http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2013/08/21/affordable-care-act-and-expanding-mental-health-coverage

Last edited by a moderator:
OK. Have you asked admin for permission to use the forum for this purpose? Where is the questionnaire? Is it open to us in the UK?
What is the definition of 'stressful life event' - does 'I could not find a parking space today' qualify or is it more about that I was repeatedly sexually abused? What is the defining line for 'stressful'?

I am sorry if this comes across as negative. I have responded to many requests in the past, and will do so again, if it feels legit. From the limited info you give so far I am not so sure.

I did the survey and I'm in the UK, there was no questions involving specific locations or requests that you should be in a specific country, the closest was whether you lived rurally, in a city or suburban area etc.

The stressful life events of this quiz is the kind of trauma involved in PTSD; sexual abuse, physical abuse, warfare, being held captive, natural disasters, serious medical trauma, travel accidents (plane, train, car etc) and witness or experiencing death. The it's just a series of questions, as to the legitimacy of the raffle, well I can't know that.

The test itself was on the university website and had the university's logo and colours throughout. The questions were kind of what you'd expect - though I found they were less about the actual trauma and more about the after effects of trauma and as to whether your beliefs and thinking processes had changed or were affected by the trauma. As regards the legitimacy of the raffle, I can't verify that, but the test itself was as run of the mill as you could expect for this sort of survey. As you are in the UK, I'll make one assumption that maybe wrong, but the giftcards (if you win one) are likely for Amazon.com and cannot be transferred to the .co.uk site, which limits what you are able to purchase and have shipped to the UK. I've done a few now to compare it with and this is easily as "real" as they were.

Obviously feel free to wait for the OP to answer these questions, I just though I could answer sooner as I'm on GMT too!

Last edited by a moderator:
Lucycat,

I did ask permission to post this study and was told that admin would post the link as a reply to my original post. I may have misunderstood, though? I just contacted the administrators again to check on this.

I clicked on the link that Kas-Can-Fly provided and it is for my colleague's, Emily Hu's, study. The link for my study is the same as Emily Hu's until after the SID=SV. After SV mine goes _9FDOrUs2ZTmUcgB

Hopefully the link will be posted for you shortly!

The stressful life events questions that I ask are similar to the ones in Emily Hu's survey. Also, I did not purchase the gift cards yet. Once I complete data collection, which will be in September, I will randomly select 4 email addresses out of those who entered the raffle and will contact those people. If a winner lets me know that they live in the UK then I can send them an Amazon UK gift card.

My study is being conducted with the approval of the Institutional Review Board at the University of Missouri - St. Louis. If you click on the link provided in this message then you can read the informed consent and see whether or not it is a study that you would like to participate in. It takes approximately 15 minutes, although the informed consent says that it may take longer. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Thank you!
Kaylin

I have just done it now. One thing that surprised me was that it does not ask about therapy or medication. For example I answered truthfully that I have not had any recent trouble sleeping. But that is because I have taken my prescribed medication to help me sleep. It will skew the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back