• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Over-analysing And Over-thinking. A Product Of Ptsd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philippa

MyPTSD Pro
I'm just wondering if anyone else here suffers from over-analysing and over-thinking in their life? If so, do you think it has to do with ptsd, or is it a seperate issue all together?

Does anyone here practise mindfulness as a way of combating these two things?

For me over-analysing and over-thinking is a form of procrastination and a way to continue avoidance. If I am "busy" playing in my psyche, I can overlook other areas or even avoid them entirely. Mindfulness is what I use to to stay engaged in whatever I'm already doing and try to experience something more positive like contentment, pleasure, play, satisfaction, comfortable, even at times just "okay". But before I try to be mindful about something, I have to make a consicous decision to stop contemplating my navel and get up and attempt to DO something, even if it may be uncomfortable and cause some anxiety... for a time (a friend I know sets an egg timer and she does it for 10 minutes and when she hears the "ding" she reevaluates it and most often chooses to stay engaged in the activity).

It was hard at first, but it is getting easier with practice.

Came back to add my own personal benchmark... an old Jethro Tull lyric "there's no time for everything". If I keep this in mind when I plan my day... I can do some self examination and reflection for a time. But I also set up my schedule for other things, like self care, exercise, social/fellowship, housework, and even though I really don't want to I have a small part time job and I can shift my focus to that and shut down some of the self reflection (which was chronic and kept me isolating and depressed). It was really hard at first, but over time and with patience, persistence and practice, it is getting easier though still mild to moderately uncomfortable.

You are so very welcome and I appreciate the topic... it keeps it real for me and in my face. I have a healthy fear of isolation and it is a struggle at times to get out of my head and get on with participating in life. I am a reluctant participant, but it's a process not a destination.

What's wrong about self-reflection?
I do it most of the time but I do it WHILE I am at work, at evening school, driving or whatever else. It used to help me a lot in getting a better understanding of myself, where my problems are and how to solve them...

I'm not saying anything is wrong with it. I'm saying for myself that it was a form of procrastination and avoidance because I actively isolated in my home for a year and a half. I was out of balance. For me, to get balance, I needed to curb the compulsion and add in other activities.

OK :). Well, I only start to procrastinate if I have too much free time, my way around it is to have always something to do- that's why I'm kind of a workaholic.
When I procrastinate, I do things which are more fun or which I really like to do but which are unimportant... I don't think very much then I think (^^).

Wow Cthulhu... that's great... it is still an effort for me to relax enough to play. I have moments, but it is still a conscious effort.

I don't think I'm so much better in that than you... I always feel lazy and bad when procrastinating... Even if I know I need that time to relax and stay stable...

I don't perceive that at all... I think you are at a different place than I am. Your perception and processing run in the background of your regular activities. I just can't do that yet and take a conscious approach.

For me over-analysing and over-thinking is a form of procrastination and a way to continue avoidance. If I am "busy" playing in my psyche, I can overlook other areas or even avoid them entirely.

What a great point! I never thought about it this way. This really has my gears turning, wait, hahahaha. Is that over analyzing again? :laugh:

Yes I really relate to this as well. I am trying to use mindfulness for anything that I can, if it will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back