• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Emerg Services Overstimulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stacieamy

Learning
I work for AAFES in a small main store. We just got a new employee and the boss has me training her. She's great...smart, asks questions, etc.
Yesterday was her third day and after about 4 hours I felt the anxiety growing. I only had 2 hours left, so I fought it. I went to the back a couple of times to calm down, but that urge to get the hell out was driving me crazy.
I think the problem is being close to a person/socializing for any significant amount of time. My customers are different. Obviously most are military, so I don't have to pretend too often with them. But, when I do, I get exhausted fast and start getting angry at stupid shit.
Anyone else notice this?

Trying to figure out where the "stupid shit" is on your post? She's great... smart... asks questions. So where is it? What was upsetting you?

I work for AAFES in a small main store. We just got a new employee and the boss has me training her....
Ok... so u have a problem to be around people. Try to find a job where there is no one in ur personal space. Truck driver, tower crane operator, etc...

I definitely know what you mean. I'm not ex mil but I need to interact with people on my own terms. You can be the nicest person ever but when you're around me longer than my brain can handle I will ghost you for sure. Just remind yourself that it's nothing personal, you just have a stimulation threshold and do your best to power through. Maybe promise yourself a nice reward after. I find when I am dealing with people, wearing headphones helps me. Even when no music is playing I can retreat for mini seconds by looking at my phone.

I work for AAFES in a small main store. We just got a new employee and the boss has me training her....
Sorry, for some reason I was under impression that u are a male. But still some women work at those jobs I suggested...

I'd agree this isn't the same as socializing, though it is interpersonal and maybe that's exhausting for you (which I also relate to). Maybe training isn't your best role and it's tiring. Once in a while I have a leadership role at work that I do okay in, but also find myself exhausted more easily. The exhaustion lends itself to getting angry more easily over things that might not normally bug me. So if you're just getting tired, try giving the trainee more of the reigns at this point, wherever appropriate, and go about your own work. Also find ways to decompress as soon as you leave work. Go for a walk, take a nap, whatever works for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back