• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Overwhelmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

dshanks

Learning
My history in a nutshell... Plenty of verbal, physical and psychological abuse at the hands of my whole family, a few major accidents and in alot of physical pain as a result. I was diagnosed with PTSD by my shrink and other doctors seem to think I not only have that. What I have a hard time with is the severe reactions to a stressful event, the frequent rage that at times is intolerable , the flashbacks and the lack of dreams or should I say the inability to remember them, as well as the psychological numbing. I wonder if I will ever be able to stop the meds and get over my extreme anger towards my family and the world. Do I sound like I am ranting...well I need to know if it gets easier. The doc says externalizing in therapy, meds and exercise are part of the answer.

I think once you really start working on the core issues, it does get better. I have pretty much settled into a dissociative/numb state...mixed in with self-harm (eating disorder, cutting, not taking needed meds, and more). I have not self-harmed in over 2 months and am starting to noticed angry outbursts over little, insignificant things.

I could not do this without the help of meds. I am very fortunate to have a great family doc who has been working with me for over 6 years. When I get way out of whack on my meds, she sends me to the psych doc. Then, when I am stable or having minor problems, she takes care of the meds. I hope that I will be able to decrease my meds someday...but there is no way that will happen now.

I hit a point this past summer where there was nothing else to do but get better. I thought I had hit my rock bottom a few years ago...but I have come to realize now that I was continuing to fall. I am 100% committed to recovery and have total faith that it will get better!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back