• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Panic attack coping

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi there aedgerle
Concentrate on breathing try to get it even. lay back and put a cold compress over your eyes. get something in your hands to play with and distract you. Put a rubber band on your wrist and strap it to distract you
I hope something there helps
peace be safe remember to breath

Hey!

Sorry that happened.

I haven't had panic attacks for a year now, and I believe I coped pretty well from the start, so maybe my trick can help. At least this is my story and it worked for me.

The first panic attack I had ever, was in 2014, about 6 months after the trauma incident. I actually called the emergency room, fearing I had a heart attack, and it was really terrifying that first time. But then I learned that a typical panic attack IS that terrifying and that painful, but not dangerous, and that it will last for approximately 20 minutes, unless one gets scared (then it lasts longer). So, I made it a habit to just lie down on the floor with my feet on a chair and watch the clock, counting seconds, for 20 minutes until the attack passed. It wasn't too bad after that, more like an annoyance, except when I was at work, and had to lock my office to lie on the floor for 20 minutes while employees knocked on my door, that was bad....

I don't know if this is the way to handle panic attacks for everybody, but for me it made me feel in control (I'm a bit of a control freak) and thus it just started happening less and less frequent, until one day it was gone again

stimulate your 5 senses - this helps me to ground myself: I like to use tea and music (tea is warm to the touch/very fragrant to the smell/has a distinct taste/and a distinct smell/and some calming music whatever that is) allow yourself to experience each one of these senses, don't just drink down the tea. Take the time to experience each one of your 5 senses (it should be almost like a ritual not a refreshment).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back