1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paranoia from responding to a cyberbully

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by TommySunlight, Jun 20, 2018.

1. TommySunlight

TommySunlight Active Member

basically I was apart of a music group on Facebook where people would review albums and such however eventually the group turned political and toxic influences crept in and some started to cyberbully. I made the mistake of responding to a cyberbully and in turn the cyberbully got my address and spread it around...mind you this is a complete stranger. But I'm writing this because a few weeks ago I decided to check up on this person after deactivating my Facebook and going no contact and saw they created another fake account only this time the account has their location listed as somewhere by me...is this cyberbully taunting me? I only responded to the cyberbully because they proved to be a big stressor and caused me to depersonalize and now this new revelation is freaking me out? What should I do?

Esterio likes this.
  2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. hithere

hithere Well-Known Member

that sounds really scary. However, was your group mostly local people? so it may be a reasonable coincidence. I had a troll on my professional twitter, a local person, who was really an agressive a-hole who was a grown adult-his attacks were so personal. I ignored it and if his trolling continued I would have gone to the police. I would ignore this cyber bully. Just do not respond. I deactivated my facebook page and took my business page too. The experience was no longer fun, like it used to be 10 years ago. I got over half my income off facebook last year, and years previous, but I just didn't want to deal with it anymore. the political stuff really triggers people's identities- people have to belong to these "gangs" and have black and white thinking. It isn't even productive.

Esterio and TommySunlight like this.
  4. hithere

hithere Well-Known Member

how did you find out they created a new fake account if you deactivated yours? Stay deactivated and don't check on it, that's my advice. With time you will hopefully not be so fearful of this person

5. Fadeaway

Fadeaway I'm a VIP Donated

Sounds like you are looking for trouble, I would leave it alone and walk away. A stranger online is unlikley going to confront someone in person.

6. Friday

Friday Raise Hell Moderator

Do you think this sounds more like an OCD issue, than a PTSD issue? As you’re worried about something happening that has never happened?

Esterio and TommySunlight like this.
  7. TommySunlight

"However, was your group mostly local people", thanks for the words of support, no it was with people from all over from Australia to Canada luckily it wasn't many people but it quickly turned toxic...I was doing some snooping because felt they were up to no good and was worried

Esterio likes this.
  8. TommySunlight

I admit I never should have responded but I was weak in regards to my boundaries and was triggered especially how this toxic bully tried to influence others against me

hithere and Esterio like this.
  9. TommySunlight

Yes but it is causing trauma regressions from elevated stress, I'm unsure how to go about this should I just try to forget the whole situation ever occurred?

10. Friday

Friday Raise Hell Moderator

So... when you’re talking about trauma regressions... are you talking about Internet flame wars (OCD stuff) or real life 9/11 life threatening violence (PTSD stuff)?

11. TommySunlight

I'm saying the stressors trigger my regressions to past traumas while creating new ones

hithere and Esterio like this.
  12. Renestel

Renestel Active Member

-- damn TommyS, yeah you got some great feedback that is younger than my generation. I was in a good band in college, and if that went down, it would be face to face or like a hate back stab thing where we would hear about it and try to out do the hate on the stage by working even harder. You may have a weirdo. I agree with all the others you gotta disconnect.These days (esp. that you found a fake page near you) I would say take a break and maybe even let non EM cops know.

hithere, TommySunlight and Esterio like this.
  13. Esterio

Esterio Well-Known Member Donated

Hi Tommy thanks for the thread

I had a bad experience in 2000 and didn't come back online till a couple of years ago. I stay away from social media at all. people are very bad outhouse types of forums. I found it hard to read the hatred people spew out of there mouths. I can not believe what people post. I join FB for less than a month and new it was not for me.
    Peace be safe

hithere and TommySunlight like this.