1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Part Of A Group That Just Isn't Working

Discussion in 'Treatment & Therapy' started by Virtues, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Virtues

Virtues Well-Known Member

I'm in the VA health care system, so what they provide is limited. I've already expressed to my doctor (psychiatrist) that group just isn't working for me, but there is no other real options. I need to continue to seek treatment otherwise I risk losing my VA benefits (which is B.S. but it's how the system works). The problem is I am one of very very very few OIF/OEF vets among a large population of Vietnam era vets.

I've joined 2 other groups that meet only once per week, which isn't enough to be productive for me, but it's better than nothing. One group (OIF/OEF support group) was a bust as I was the only one to show up last week. The other group seems to be an all right fit for me, but I'm running into the same problem: I'm an OIF/OEF vet and these groups are largely populated with Vietnam era vets, which is O.K., but they seem to buddy up with each other and I end up feeling like I don't belong in their little click.

So obviously I need to continue treatment (whether it is productive or not) else I risk losing benefits, but I end up in a pickle because I really need some group time with other OIF/OEF vets. I am plugged into the Vet Center already, I'm not exactly sure where else to go. I guess there isn't too many answers to be had here in this forum, but I just needed to vent my frustration as I just came home from another unproductive day at group today.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Ronin

Ronin Dark Wings Premium Member

Q as I'm unclear on this: And the type of therapy you have to go through, or how close / far, is prescribed?

Is it possible to find groups in other cities? Or different type of therapy altogether?

Rain, Born to Run and Simply Simon like this.
  4. Virtues

Veterans Affairs is a bureaucracy. The way it works is you have local clinics. If you can't get treatment, they don't provide the treatment you need, or you are unhappy with the treatment provided, you need to go to a hub. For me I would have to drive an hour each way each day to go to this bigger clinic. I just can't afford the price of gas to drive back and forth each day.

On the upside I am reimbursed for the price of gas to travel, but on the downside I have to pay for it upfront and then I am reimbursed later. I guess I could take out a line of credit to get started and see if things aren't any better in their main clinic.

Muse, Rain, ladee and 2 others like this.
  5. Friday

Friday Raise Hell Moderator

How do you feel about horses, dogs, fishing, hunting, rock climbing, shooting, motorcycles, bikes, or guitars?

These are all groups I've found in various areas. Some are set up for vets by vets, some are civvie nonprofit for vets, some are PTSD specific / most aren't (but either read between the lines it's there, or reports back it's there). Some, like IAVA are oif/oef specific, others are anyone, but the more active the thing, the younger the crowd gets, on average.

Fair warning... Some areas? Have jack shit unless you're willing/able to drive half a day or start your own local chapter. Others you can't swing a cat.

Muse, Rain, Chimera and 2 others like this.
  6. Virtues

I love horses, I would love to find a group by me that did therapy with horses; that would be awesome!

7. Friday

Friday Raise Hell Moderator

<grin> try googling Veteran Equine Therapy, or Equine Assisted Therapy.

While I have always 100% agreed with Roosevelt, 'There's something about the outside of a horse, which is good for the inside of a man.', I had no idea Equine Therapy was a thing until last year.

8. Ronin

Eventually for the same, hippotherapy is also googleable.

There's something like American Hippotherapy Association, although appearing pretty unconnected, but they might be a source of information in the field if tried.

9. Virtues

I found a place that's like an hour drive away. I wrote them an e-mail to get some information, so we'll see what happens with it.

10. Virtues

So I just got back from my first session of equine therapy. It was very fulfilling. I just did grooming today, but it was amazing working with the two horses I had the pleasure of working with today. I am going back next week; I am super excited that this is going to work out for me. Thanks Friday for the suggestion, I really feel like I'm locked into something good here. Super stoked!!! :D

11. Ronin

Amazing news, Florian. :D

12. Virtues

Thanks Cashew

13. ShodokanJenn

ShodokanJenn Well-Known Member

So glad you were able to find the equine therapy. There is something so primal and healing about horses. I hope this is as amazing for you as I suspect it will be.

Show Sidebar