1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

People who criticize folks who are on disability?

Discussion in 'Employment, Education & Disability' started by anonymous, Apr 16, 2018.

1. anonymous

anonymous Forum Anonymity Premium Member

Have you run into this at all? There is a person at my job who makes snide and resentful comments about "people on Disability" and criticizes the idea of Disability in general. This person says that all folks on it are on drugs, are lazy or some other derogatory statements similar to that.

This person harps on this often, repeating these hateful statements every week or so, always when I am within earshot. This person knows I am on Disability and that I am the only person at my job who is.

I work part-time at a very undemanding job, one that I am able to do, even though I am on Disability for both mental and physical reasons, though the physical is not evident by looking at me.

I have on more than one occasion been accused of "faking it" to get my Disability. In essence, this person is also saying that, but going about it in a different manner.

I try to ignore these statements, but it gets annoying after awhile. I don't say anything in response. I just wonder if some of the rest of you who are on Disability also go through this sort of thing?

shimmerz likes this.
  2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Mytime

Mytime Well-Known Member

I’m not on Disability myself. But I’ve had been around people who cut up or look down on stay at home mothers. Which I was.
    Next time she starts mouthing off, hand her your shoes, tell her to walk in them for a week, day. Then ask her why she on Disability. Or just save your proof and report her to her boss. Maybe she needs to experience consequences of running her mouth inappropriately.

Eagle3 and SpiritSong like this.
  4. EveHarrington

EveHarrington _______ in progress. Premium Member

I’d just say “your passive aggressiveness is getting old. Do you have a problem with me? I assure you I’m not “faking it” given the 5” stack of medical documents that were submitted on my behalf by my various doctors. GOT IT? Good.”

Lol.

Eagle3 and SpiritSong like this.
  5. chris Ann

chris Ann New Member

Oh how I can relate. If people don't see a physical disability, they run their mouth, to make them feel better about themselves. I have PTSD, people don't see me waking up screaming from nightmares. They don't see me having flashbacks. They don't see me always taking meds. They don't see me laying curled up in the fetal position, crying, wanting to die.

When people are judgemental, and don't know the truth, I say "don't let your sharp tongue, cut your own throat"

My family have criticized me, I haven't seen any of them in over 10yrs. They never say How are you. They make nasty hurtful remarks. I have told them, when I'm dead, don't come to my funeral. If you cannot be kinder in life, don't cry fake tears in my death. My family is a nightmare. We can't pick our relatives, but we can, set boundaries. I don't believe all the hype "blood is thicker than water" that is crap. We are born in one family, but we can pick a new one.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2018
    littleoc and SpiritSong like this.
  6. Friday

Friday Raise Hell Moderator

Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one, and they all stink. ;)

Shrug. Never been a part of anything I can think of that at least some people haven’t violently disagreed with. Sometimes for legitimate reasons, a lot of the time for asinine ones. Mostly I tend to view it as a gift / a quick insight into their character / & count my blessings for another bullet dodged. IE They were kind enough to show me off the bat not to waste my time on them. It’s just so much easier to avoid idiots & assholes when they walk around carrying signs :sneaky:

Cha. Or the self righteous Queen of the World types who think that THEIR medical records are sacrosanct, but that everyone else -who have already gone through the process of legally proving the disability to regulatory authorities- are somehow obligated to also prove to them that they “need” xyz, and aren’t scamming, etc. :rolleyes:.

Again, though, I try to view them as a gift. Either someone to avoid, be amused by, or vent my spleen at ;)

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    nekograssman, Muttly and littleoc like this.
  7. CdnCopper

CdnCopper Active Member

Its unfortunate and disheartening but some people have given invisible disabilities such as ptsd a real bad name.

In my profession, policing, ptsd is a well known part of the job. Many of the "bad apples" that slip thru the screening process into this career, that they have no business being in, use ptsd like the common cold as their "get out of jail" card when they get caught abusing or misusing their authority.

The problem of course is that although everyone knows the vast majority of these people are using it as a convenient excuse and no more have ptsd than they do the plague it is extremely difficult to find "experts" that will definitively call their bluff.

So now the people that genuinely do have ptsd and come forward get grouped in with the other bunch.

It's extremely frustrating and is one of the reasons I just kept my mouth shut.

littleoc likes this.
  8. benoit1972

benoit1972 New Member

People’s perception and comments always pisses me off, however I always wonder how much of that is imaginary paranoia on my end. In the end I just see it as jealousy, most people think you should work until 62 or whatever and when they see people who appear able bodied their feeble understanding of behavioral health rears it ugly head.

It’s hard, but I try not to let others influence or control my feelings or self image. All actions have reactions and there were specific orders of effect that put you in the situation your in. Likely you had zero or very little control over what pushed you to being unemployable...

embrace it and enjoy your hopefully stress free time at home, I know I try. On another note this very perception is the reason I refuse to get a handicapped tag for my vehicles, at 45 years young I can still walk the extra 200 feet to the store and avoid the headache.