• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Emerg Services Pets added stressor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't had that but I can see that it could be.

Pets are a ton of work and some days that just to much to add to my plate.
But I think it has more to do with them showing us unconditional love, no matter how loud or cranky we are. That may be causing regression because of how much it hurts to let ourselves love something, or let ourselves recieve love from others - even a pet.

But you can't push pets away like you can with humans. So then its back to coping skills to figure out "what do I do with these feeings?"

I have terrible episodes of anxiety just thinking Peanut is on the other side of the door, waiting. Now I had to let her at a friend’s apartment because I’m travelling and I feel super crappy about it. Basically it triggers all the alarms of being a good caretaker and making another being happy and healthy. At the end I do love her and am happy to have her, but emotionally it’s not that simple.

I haven't had that but I can see that it could be.

Pets are a ton of work and some days that just to much to add to my plate.
But I think it has more to do with them showing us unconditional love, no matter how loud or cranky we are. That may be causing regression because of how much it hurts to let ourselves love something, or let ourselves recieve love from others - even a pet.

But you can't push pets away like you can with humans. So then its back to coping skills to figure out "what do I do with these feeings?"
Wow, I had never thought about it at that deep level. I just figured not being able to sleep in and the constant attention he needs was wearing me out. But maybe you are onto something with the other part. Thanks for that reply ❤

I have a 7 month old mastiff pup and she was acquired during lockdown so she didn't get properly socialized. She is becoming more and more clingy and just today I was at my wit's end with her. I am going to start crate training her so I can get a break.

I have a 7 month old mastiff pup and she was acquired during lockdown so she didn't get properly socialized. She is becoming more and more clingy and just today I was at my wit's end with her. I am going to start crate training her so I can get a break.
I can completely understand. They are still babies at 7 months. Crate her and get some "me" time. I use to feel guilty leaving mine alone, but I dont anymore.

Yup it happens. I have a pet at the other end of life and she can raise my stress level instantly. She is 19 and very habituated to what used to be my schedule for the first 15 years she was with us. She starts "yelling" (you would never believe that much noise can come out of that little cat) when my wife usually got up in the morning but since she is working at home - its now an hour before she gets up. Then she starts on me at my old wake up time.
I feel sad though at her routine when she wants to sit on my lap. TV and me are in the basement and she starts meowing at the top of the stairs, then the landing, then hides behind my exer-cycle, and needs a positive response at each step before she gets on my chair with me. I know why - my startle response and instant anger are what she is avoiding. That makes me sad and frustrated - because I want to react differently.
I also struggle when she gets clingy. That is more difficult to deal with in some ways. That seems to instantly raise my stress and annoyance that almost instantly turns to anger (rage?). I have to really change my frame of reference and remember she is there for the same reason people are near. Because they love me and they want to help me.

There are days…like today with Mr.Schulz eating my glasses 🤨 by dashing out the door and hiding in the yard… that I need to sort my priorities before reacting. Vet bill, glasses cost replacement, frustration to monotone firm approach but kind… good lesson for me. He was only scolded btw and still healthy.

Normally, I have found, that my Service Dog has saved my life and is invaluable in hearing, alerting and nudging me out of my own head during PTSD, emergency situations (such as a fire last year) and helping me open vulnerabilities found in companionship and bonding.

When my balance goes physically and he is not properly exercised nor played with, then he does become somewhat clingy or can be destructive. That is a big factor in dog ownership…proper amount of exercise which will help them be healthy and less stuck to the hip. But the most important thing is for me to remember, I am his pack. I dictate his world : I am mostly his world and they only have a few years next to ours. Pack animals are fiercely loyal and after all there is a ‘little wolf‘ inside each dog just waiting for us to lead to howl at that moon. Every parent gets tired on occasion or perhaps stressed from fur-baby effort…but the reward and joy can open us to a world of unconditional love. Not many relationships can offer so much. Take care and hang in there.

Attachments

• 255C5910-2846-4CCB-8C5B-229A005DD47C.jpeg
    255C5910-2846-4CCB-8C5B-229A005DD47C.jpeg
    959.5 KB · Views: 79
When my balance goes physically and he is not properly exercised nor played with, then he does become somewhat clingy or can be destructive. That is a big factor in dog ownership…proper amount of exercise which will help them be healthy and less stuck to the hip.
Pets are very like that. My cat turns around and uses her tail to knock stuff over when she is unhappy with me with that sort of "did I do that?" look on her face.

My sisters friend volunteers to take a service dog out for exercise and to just be a dog once a week. The transformation in the dog is amazing and she pretty much exhausts herself when "off duty".

Any chance you could find a volunteer to take Mr. Schulz out for exercise or a little "off duty" time when you are not up to it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back