• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Play fighting/wrestling

Status
Not open for further replies.

bellbird

MyPTSD Pro
Does anyone else really enjoy play fighting/wrestling (realising this question is largely directed towards those who don't experience [chronic] pain)?

Growing up, pre-PTSD, I really enjoyed it. And I find it really interesting considering the evolutionary implications of why animals across various species will often behave as such.

Now having PTSD, I still enjoy it. In fact, probably even more so as, similar with the effect I experience from running, there is something that really puts me at ease about honing those skills such as endurance, strength, agility, stealth, decision making, etc.

This morning, for instance, my flatmate and I spent a pretty decent amount of time with the sole objective being to get a hair tie off the other's wrist.

Even after a night of being up 3X from nightmares, this turned out to be the perfect remedy. An adrenaline outlet and a chance to sharpen the mind.

Anyone else?

I’m a jiu jitsu expert (I wonder what my coach would say but he’ll never see that LOL) if six years on the mat makes me one. I miss it, but my bodies arthritic and I just can’t. I loved it but my cPTSD reaction was noticed. Everyone was pretty nice about it . I was just different than the average MMA gym guy . It was fun, I destroyed my elbows, but I don’t think I wouldn’t do it again.

You can easily do it play fighting and go easy. It’s awesome really.

That's why I joined a Ki-Aikdio group. After years of brutal martial arts that my body can't do anymore, I get to play with Aiki-fruities!! It gives me a feeling of battle-play, without the intensity or competition, and they're REALLY good about being careful with my fragile body. Weapons work is my favorite, being able to play with sticks is GREAT fun! Its even classified as therapy...

That's why I joined a Ki-Aikdio group. After years of brutal martial arts that my body can't do anymore, I get to play with Aiki-fruities!! It gives me a feeling of battle-play, without the intensity or competition, and they're REALLY good about being careful with my fragile body. Weapons work is my favorite, being able to play with sticks is GREAT fun! Its even classified as therapy...
Oh maaaaaan.... So I thought, I’ll put in a couple years in Aikido before heading back to Krav & others, after I got sick. (Couple years on mostly bedrest / hooked up to o2 / I did a number on myself). I was doing WAY better, by then... biking every day (which I despise), back to nearly 5mi walking every day, swimming, I figured? It’s time! And my kid had been in Aikido for years, so I already loved it vicariously.

<cough> It was not time.

I dislocated 2 vertebrae in my neck doing a shoulder roll. >.< The first week of classes

Sometimes? You just can’t win for losing.

I spent the next year going “I will not internally decapitate myself. I will not internally decapitate myself. I will walk, from point A to point B, in the most boring way possible.”

I dislocated 2 vertebrae in my neck doing a shoulder roll. >.< The first week of classes
So, I have an understanding with my group. For various health reasons, I tell them regularly that I only have 2 emergency rolls in me per night, and if I feel healthy enough, I may practice rolls and breakfalls after class. This means they give me the option to "walk out" of techniques instead of rolling or falling out of them. I CAN roll well, so its not that I don't know how, I just have some real physical reactions to rolling that ruin my night, so I save them for actual emergencies (typically newbs don't control their techniques well enough to give me the opportunity to walk out). It works for us all, and each person will ask before we start practicing if I'm rolling/falling that night. Sweet group, I love them.

One night, I was in class with a super-stiff neck, like, couldn't turn my head to one side at all. I was dumb and went to class anyway. Of course, this night, I had to actually take a roll, and I screwed it up royally. Rolled on my neck/head, stretched me out, should have hurt like hell. Funny thing, because I know how to relax when stuff goes wrong, I ended up FIXING my neck by rolling on it wrong... I still laugh about that. My paradoxical life...

I have a really hard time not getting drug into the past - even if it's with someone I love. I can't quite separate play fighting from "holy crap I'm gonna die" fighting. I took a taekwondo class a billion years ago and even struggled with it there. The minute I get hurt, even if its in fun, I'm triggered.

Well, that and the fibro is definitely not a fan LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back