• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Positive User Names

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claire

MyPTSD Pro
I've noticed a few more negative user names on here recently. Nothing personal to any of those users but I think people need to think of a positive name! After all, finding this forum and registering are massively positive steps, so how about a good positive name too? :smile:

Call yourself a loser and you will BE a loser! It maybe corny but the power of positive thought is really important.

Well I guess that would be me, but I think of it as a joke and don't take it seriously. I hadn't thought that others may be offended by it.

I will pick a better one out and sign up again.

Tammy

Hello Tammy, well honestly you were one of them but I dont mean you to take it personally because there was a thread about this subject before you joined up. I know you might say it as a joke but seriously it is more important than you think. I'm not offended, dont worry. I just think it does matter what you call yourself. I look forward to chatting with you and your new positive name if you decide to change it!

I'm not taking it personal, I don't take much of what other people say personal anymore. I just was unaware that it might be offensive to others, but I understand exactly where your coming from. I try to make a joke out of everything, so it was just in my nature to do the same about my complaning.

I'm curently trying to think of a user name that fits, and will rejoin.
Tammy

Hi, i just wanted to add my experience with this, i agree it's really important, not just whether it's positive or negative per se, just also in general to give it some thought and not a knee jerk reaction based on how you feel the moment you register- i joined another forum and signed myself up as "looni" and it was a real bad idea. Not just in terms of how other people reacted to it, but also it all seemed a bit strange when i wanted to go on and say i was having a good few days or had turned a corner- starting signing posts with things like "slightly less looni today" and it got a bit silly- don't use that one anymore- ran out of degree's of looniness to sign myself off as!!!

Pol xxx

Tammy, it is not offensive and there is absolutely no need to change a user name if it is not your personal desire.

Please don't go registering new usernames, as that just creates more issues. If you want a username changed, contact myself, veiled or becvan and we will just change your existing username, without having to merge users together or the like which can cause issues.

User Names

I already changed my user name before I read your post Anthony. Sorry to enter a new group and cause these problems already.

I suppose when one is registering for a user name, there can be an additional side note stating, "the forum promotes positive user names". This might cut back on the names that people are uncomfortable with in the forum.

Just my 2 cents
Tammy

I say listen to Anthony since he's the boss. But the message given is correct. It may not mean anything to you outright, but subconsciously it can be detrimental to your recovery. Food fer thinkin'....

Although I agree that our names can be negative or positive, I don't think anyone has the right to tell or imply that another user should change it just because it sounds negative.

Everyone who joins this forum is doing so at a different place and pace with their PTSD and how healed they are. Our names reflect that at our time of joining. If it's negative, so be it. It simply reflects either a sarcastic sense of humor or where they are at emotionally. That member can choose to change it at a later date, if they so desire, or not.

I feel that implying to another member, or two, that this is wrong or unacceptable is a indication that the person is unable to handle negativity and has more healing to do within that area themselves. I also feel it is a form of control. Implying that someone should change something because you are uncomfortable with it.. is a form of controlling the environment you are within because of your inability to deal with it. I think this thread reflects a lot of areas to be worked on, IMHO.

bec

Hang on a minute there. I never bullied anyone into changing any name at any point. My thread was just trying to encourage more positive names because positive thinking is important. That's all. I also stated that I wasn't offended at all by it and that it wasn't a personal thing against anyone, which it isn't! I stated it was my opinion, which I am allowed, am I not?

As for technical issues, sorry about that Anthony. I certainly didn't mean to make things difficult for you.

I agree with most aspects here, in that I will leave it to users for their choice, as we as editors DO NOT edit usernames unless they are spam, email addresses, or rude. Otherwise we leave it to the user. Your choice, you live with it. Yes, negative names promote negative activity, however; if that is the name you want then keep it. I do not want any user feeling pressured to change their username, because it is your choice as the user at the end of the day.

This thread has been done before, and quite honestly my only point from an editorial viewpoint is what is within the username, ie. spam or not. That is what we look for and change if required... Again though, will will change a users name if they want to change it, however; DO NOT please create a new name as one of us three admin editors can simply change your name without creating a new one and having to merge them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back